Chapter five

Maybe my father was right. I should have killed Joceline. But she's the only friend I've ever had and I just couldn't do it. I wanted to give her a chance.

Joceline knew nothing like self-control. In a few days, she slaughtered almost all the servants. Her aversion to drinking blood quickly disappeared.

And father was furious.

I kept Joceline from killing our new maid. She was like a predatory animal that wanted to catch its prey. She was trembling from the desire for blood.

"Control yourself, Jo!" I told her forcefully.

"I can't help myself, Dragomira," said Joceline. "I'm so hungry all the time."

"Control that hunger, Jo!"

"Tame her, Dragomira, otherwise she'll see the dawn in the morning," the father was angry.

I understood his anger and he had every right to it. He was right. I wasn't.

Joceline resisted my grip, but she couldn't break free.

"How come you're so strong?" she asked me.

"Because I'm older," I replied.

I threw her across the room. She hit the ground hard. It took her breath away. I approached her. She wanted to stand up, but I pinned her back to the ground.

"Get a hold of yourself, Joceline, or I cannot guarantee what your fate will be when the sun comes up."

"Sir," interrupted the maid. "You have a precious visitor."

"Who is that?" asked the father.

"His Highness Prince Bael has arrived," she replied.

My father and I exchanged worried looks. We had no idea why he came. It has been a very long time since he last showed up at my father's house. A few times after I left the court, he tried to convince me to come back, but when he didn't succeed, I lost contact with him. It's been over a hundred years.

We came to the reception lounge, where he was waiting for us. Our eyes met. He gave me a mischievous smile. He hasn't changed at all.

"Your Highness." I bowed to him.

"Miss Dragomira." he kissed the back of my hand charmingly. "It seems like forever since we last saw each other."

"All eternity."

We no longer kept a straight face and hugged each other.

"Nice to see you again, Dragomira," Bael said.

"Nice to see you too," I said.

We hugged. It was a cold embrace. Time has taken its toll on both of us.

Bael looked at Joceline, who was keeping her distance from the guards that accompanied him.

"And who is that?" he asked.

"Bow!" my father ordered her.

Joceline bowed uncertainly.

"This is Joceline." I introduced her. "She has a problem with self-control."

"So that's what you're doing now, taming unruly vampires?" he looked at me inquisitively.

"I'm trying," I said.

"You have changed, dear Dragomira," said Bael. "You used to enjoy hunting them with the royal army."

Joceline laughed. "She keeps threatening me with death."

"If you weren't my friend, you'd be dead by now." I gave her a murderous look.

"Don't be mean, Dragomira," Bael smirked. "You know very well that transformation brings out the worst in us."