10.

ONIKA MARAJ
MARCH 7th, 2022
HOUSTON, TX

"there's a visitor you, miss maraj." my assistant informed me.

i nodded. "let them in." i replied and she opened the door further.
my heart fell through the floor when i saw who it was.

my mother.

"m-mother? what are you doing here?" i asked, confused and upset.

i really didn't want her here, at all. and she knew that. my mother and i's relationship will forever be strained. i protected my peace by not allowing her to be in my life anymore.

yet, the witch always found her way back in.

"oh! so a mother can't come visit her child? i've missed you, beautiful!" my mom pulled me into a hug.

she's never this loving unless she wants something from me. i knew this all too well.

a knock at my door caused me to panic. it was beyoncé. she didn't know about my mother, so i'm sure she was going to come in and do what she usually does.

when the blonde walked in, she stopped at the door.

"oh, am i interrupting?" she asked.

"oh, no, dear! you're quite alright, come in." my mom smiled at beyonce.

weirdly, beyoncé complied but with a strange look. i guessed could feel the tension in the room.

she sat my lunch on my desk with a smile. "i brought your favorite. extra hot sauce and ketchup in the bag for you."

i smiled at her too. i loved that she listened to me. she placed a kiss to my cheek, and i wanted to say something but didn't.

"miss knowles, you truly are a life saver. thank you for lunch." usually, at this point, i'd engulf her into a loving kiss. she was waiting for it, but nothing happened.

i brought her to the door and we stood outside in the hallway. i quickly pecked her lips.

"thats all i can spare. now go. ill explain later!" i shooed her off.

when i walked back into the room, my mother held a displeased look to her face.

"hm. i see you've taken a liking to yet another sheriff." my mother grimaced, clearly unhappy.

"well, it's none of your business, mother. i'm allowed to like who i like." i looked at her.

"yet it's a sheriff. not only that, a woman. have you really lowered your standards, tanya? i thought i raised you better than this. did you not learn from the last mistake?"

i became furious. she always referred to my son's father as a mistake. knowing what happened was, in fact, not a mistake.

i took deep breaths and tried to focus on something else so i wouldn't spazz on my mother. but i was close.

"onika, you need to understand that you need someone of your status! not some- scums. you can do better. you need to do better!"

"mother i don't care what you think! i'm a grown ass woman! i should be able to do what i want! why does it matter to you so much?! you don't even care about me!"

"i don't care about you?! as if i haven't sacrificed my whole life to take care of you?! oh, please, onika! what has gotten into you?! what's so good about that.. woman anyway?! she doesn't seem like anything!"

"i love her, mother! i love her! that's what it is! and i'm sick of you taking that away from me! you're a mean, evil spirited, bitch!"

the next thing i knew, a hard slap connected to my cheek.