1.

ONIKA MARAJ
JAN. 9, 2022
HOUSTON, TX

"another day, another slay." the strange tiktok sound looped in my head. i sighed softly as i continued my hygiene routine. being the mayor was hard. i ran a town full of people who wanted everything but nothing at the same time. i spent all my hours in a box, signing away at ridiculous papers that would just end up in the garbage can after being received.

i combed through my straightened, long, black hair then slipped on my usual outfit: a black pencil skirt, a white button up blouse, my blazer and heels. i was very short, five foot two to be exact, and i made sure that no one ever saw me without my high heels on. of course they had an idea of how tall i could be but i never let them think about it too much.

i grabbed an apple that had been picked from my apple tree on my way out of my home and slid into my black cadillac. i honestly hated apples so i didn't know why i had a tree. i barely enjoyed gardening so crazy decision.

walking into the town hall seemed to have sucked all of my energy out of me. the atmosphere was stress in its purest form. i was greeted by my secretaries and assistants.

"good morning, mayor."

"morning, madam."

"hello, miss maraj, nice to see you."

i greeted everyone back collectively then i went on the elevator and straight to my office.

i let out a deep breath as i opened the door to my huge office. it was plain, not much decor and everything was in black. with a few good and white accents here and there. sliding into my chair, i turned on my computers and prepared myself for hell.

it was almost unbearable having to do these mayor duties. not only that, there was talk in the town about someone new. i didn't tune in too much as people just spread any information even when it's wrong.

a buzz from my intercom caught my attention and i looked up.

"miss mayor, sheriff petty is here to see you." natalie, my secretary, informed me.

"let him in." i replied and she hung up.

petty and i were- something. we weren't together but we did enjoy each other's company.. if you catch what i'm saying. i was a lonely woman, and not many people found interest in a woman like me. i'm very educated, confident, outspoken, intimidating and (i hate to admit) broken.

a few knocks and heavy boots echoed throughout the room and in came the sheriff. a smirk plastered on his face.

"madam mayor, it's really good to see you." he licked his lips. as i stared at the man, i didn't understand where my attraction to him came from. he wasn't that cute, and what was in his pants wasn't much better. i truly was desperate.

"it's good to see you too, sheriff. how's everything going?" i went back to my computer, clicking away at emails.

"really well. crime is still high, but today has been one of those slow days." he sat down in a chair in front of me.

i nodded. "perhaps that's a good thing." i replied, not really paying him any attention.

he reached forward and took my hand. "i miss you. we haven't seen each other in about two days." he kissed my knuckles sweetly.

i smiled softly and turned my attention to him. "i know. but i've just been exceptionally exhausted lately. i was up all night doing paperwork and i truly didn't want to be a bore so i hadn't contacted you for my.. needs."

he chuckled. "well i don't want to just be around for your needs, mayor, i do want to be around for more. maybe i can take you out on a date? tonight at 6?"

i thought about it. "i think that's a possibility. i'll be ready, don't forget yourself, sheriff."

he smiled then stood up. "see you at six." he walked out of my office.

i had a smile on my face. i didn't think i was enough to have a relationship with so it did feel good, just this once, to be proven wrong.

- ✰ -

it was half an hour until six and i was already dressed. i was a very punctual person, and tardiness was something i despised. i drove down to the restaurant the sheriff wanted to take me to. i gave his name for the reservation and then went to go sit.

six o clock rolled around and he wasn't here yet.

maybe he's just late. he wouldn't stand me up, right?

i could've been overthinking it. another thirty minutes flew by and he still hadn't arrived. i was now becoming anxious. i pulled my phone out of my purse and texted him.

:hey. i'm here. are you coming?

no response.

i scanned the room and tried to ignore the overbearing thoughts. there was a woman with blonde hair that was sitting at another table not to far from me. when i caught her stare, she didn't look away. i didn't know if i should be weirded out or not but it wasn't uncomfortable.

at this point, it was a quarter til, and i knew he wasn't coming.

:why ask me out if you weren't going to show up?
:this is truly embarrassing, ken.
:i've been waiting for you.

i shouldn't have thought he'd actually want me. i'm so stupid.

i couldn't tell if i wanted to cry or not. i watched as my text message bubbles deliver, my previous message hadn't even been read yet.

"um- hey." i heard a sultry voice say.

i looked up and it was the blonde from the other table. she was beautiful. her hair cascaded down her back and smelt of vanilla. she wore light makeup, and had lots of jewelry in her ears.

"i saw you sitting here for awhile. only because i, too, was sitting for awhile waiting on someone. i'm assuming you got stood up as well? i'm sorry if i'm making the wrong assumption."

"hello.. you're not wrong at all. my date didn't show up. he hasn't even replied to my messages." i told her, peering at my phone to check if he replied. he didn't.

"do you mind if i sit here?" she asked, gesturing towards the seat in front of me.

"um.. no, i don't mind." i really didn't mind. i wanted the company right now. she smiled and sat down in front of me.

"i'm sorry your date stood you up. this was supposed to be my welcoming into the town." she said to me.

"welcoming? what do you mean?"

"i'm new here. i just moved here from california. this is only my second week here, but i was transferred from the station in torrance to the one here in houston."

i raised a brow. "station?"

"police station. i'm a sheriff. you haven't heard of the talk about me? everyone i've met so far has." she chuckled softly.

sheriff. she's the new sheriff? i wasn't expecting that.

"oh! um- yeah! what's your name?" i looked into her face.

"knowles. beyoncé knowles."

"miss knowles.. welcome to town."

________________________
a/n: half a heart is most likely done for 💀

but here's a newbieeee 😁