Ch 26: So long Japan!

Date: December, 2023

Maverick's Pov

Convenient Store: Highway, Japan

After some driving we stop at a highway convenient store to get some snacks and other things Tuka, Rory, and Lelei went to go get them. I told them to just bring me a coffee, I keep watch outside. I'm still pissed at myself for letting my guard down and letting those guys attack us. Even ones US Ex-troops nearly kill me and everyone else. Kurokawa walks up to me and hands me my coffee.

Kurokawa: Here you go, Mav.

Me: Thanks, Kurokawa.

I take the canned coffee and open it. Kurokawa looks at me with a worried look on her face.

Me: What's up?

Kurokawa: You hardly said a word since we left the hotel. What's bothering you?

Me: We were just attacked by guys from three nations. One of them from the US, and it's my fault.

Kurokawa: What, no! This is not your fault! You didn't know about them!

Me: David tipped me off about them and Mattis also tipped him off before he did to me, but I.... we let our guard down and it nearly got us killed.

Kurokawa:*grabs his hand* No! None of that is your fault or anyone else's! So stop blaming yourself!...*blushes* Also I want to talk about what happened between... you and I.

Me: Oh, it's fine if you wanna forget about it. We all do stupid things when we're drunk. Even being dragged in a dark room to makeout and fuck like horny teenagers in a hentai.

Kurokawa:*blushes red* N-No, I was being serious I really do like you.

Me:*sighs* I appreciate your feelings toward me, it's that... the Corps has strict policies regarding officers and enlisted fraternization, especially if they're in the same unit. I suppose the SDF is the same way.

Kurokawa:*squeezes his hand* I don't care! I want to be with you and that's how I really feel Maverick!

Me: Jesus Christ, you're really putting me in a bind here... I like you too. You're one kick-ass medic, and the prettiest girl I have ever met. I've had other girlfriends, but they never understood this crazy life of ours. Plus they also cheated on me. So, if you're willing keep it professional while we're on the clock and on the down low. I would love to date you, Mari.

Mari has a smile on her face and tears welling up in her eyes. She looks into the van to see if anyone's watching.

Mari: Okay...Can I be unprofessional for just a few more seconds?

Me: Wha-?

Mari puts her hands on my shoulders, props herself up a bit and kisses me. She breaks the kiss after a few seconds.

Me:*blushes* Sorry, that probably tasted like coffee.

Mari:*blushes* It's all right, I probably tasted like alcohol.

Me: Okay then, we're back on the clock now Sergeant.

Kurokawa: Yes sir!

As Kurokawa and I share that brief moment of intimacy, there's a sense of understanding and connection between us. The tension and worry that had been weighing on me seem to dissipate, if only for a little while. We both know the challenges that lie ahead, both in our professional duties and in navigating this newfound romantic interest, but we're determined to make it work.