Ch 3: Joint USMC/JSDF Recon Squads

Date: November, 2023

Alnus Hill, 7th Combat Squad HQ

Maverick's Pov

Itami and I are standing front of Major Osamu Higaki as he's giving us new marching orders.

Higaki: We need intelligence to decide future policy. Investigating their political base, religious faith, and what kind of industries are most prevalent in this world are at the top of our upcoming fact finding missions.

Me: So basically Hearts and Minds, but with extra steps.

Higaki: Precisely, Capt. Kuribayashi.

Itami: Well that sounds like a great idea. Best of luck to whatever grunt gets that job.

Higaki: Congratulations, "Grunt" it's all yours.

Itami eyes widen and I nearly chuckle and just roll my eyes at that remark.

Itami: Huh!?......Please not me.

Higaki: What?

Me:*rubbing my temples* Oh my Lord.....

Itami: I can't do something like that myself.

How did you even pass OCS is Japan's fault for not getting better DIs.

Higaki: Relax Grunt, we wouldn't entrust it to just you. We've already organized the twelve deep recon and surveillance units we need. You and Captain Kuribayashi will command one them. Your mission is to make contact with inhabitants inside the disputed areas Captain Kuribayashi will be your Commanding Officer and you will be his second in command.

Me: I'd say we already made contact with the inhabitants and killed a lot of them. Yes, sir.

Higaki: And if you don't get your ass shot off, start a friendly relationship with them.

Me: Will do, sir. Right, 1sLt. Itami?

Itami: Ahh.......Yes, sir.

Higaki: And much as it's pains me to say this. Mostly you Captain. You are in officially in Second-in-command of the Fifth Deep Recon and Surveillance unit. It is comprised of both SDF and USMC.

Me: If I may, can I have a list of the names that I'll be incharge with? Weapons and vehicles too?

Higaki: Sure.*hands me the list* By the way, US took any advance weapons like the M27s, M17s & M18s, M16A4s, FGM-148 Javelins, FGM-172 SRAW and the M45A1.

Me:..........Why?

Higaki: Because they said and I quote "Don't want to much pay if stuff is easy to replace quickly."

Me:.........Oh.....

Fucking. US. Marine Corps. Logistics.

Higaki: Your both dismissed.

We leave command tent and head toward the assembly area.

Itami: Why'd I get paired up with you again?

Me: Because you are an idiot and the JSDF realized you need a Marine to stop you from doing something stupid. Or because both our politicians thought it would be good for the press to have well documented "Heroes" as a buddy team. Or maybe because someone else would "accidentally" knock your motherfucking teeth out. Shall I go on?

Itami:.......No, sir.

Me: Good. Now go inspect the unit while I read this.

As Itami left, I read what was the list.