Game on the train | 2

The 1st of September finally came and Nyx was delighted. She could finally leave her Muggle foster home and go to her real home where she felt more welcomed to her.

Like tradition ever since she was accepted into Hogwarts, her foster mother would drop her off at King's Cross Station, they would run into the seemingly solid wall and give their final goodbyes before she jumped onto the train that would leave in another twenty minutes. (She was the early type.)

Nyx gave her foster mother one last glance when she was safely aboard the train and looked for an empty compartment which didn't take a long time. She sat there and opened a book she had bought only a week ago when she was shopping for her school books. It had caught her attention because of the title.

Death omens

It was funny, really, idiotic wizards and their imagination. Making up reasons why you shouldn't keep a black butterfly in your house because you'll die or somebody else is going to die blah blah blah.

No, she believed it was all about fate.

It was fate that took away someone's life, it was fate that gave her her life, and it was fate that brought Death and her mother together.

Funny, how Death was able to give life. To be more specific, he gave her life, he and her mother.

She shook her head. It was always a question as to how her parents met and how she was able to be born. Sometimes she would joke with herself that perhaps, possibly, that Death had a dick to fuck.

She laughed to herself at the thought and turned her attention back to the book in her hand.

By the time she turned her book to the fourth Death Omen, she looked up to the sound of her compartment door sliding open to reveal her best friend. The only person who was not afraid to approach her on their first day at Hogwarts. She gave him a smile and turned her attention back to the book. The boy walked in and sat opposite her. His looks were quite similar to hers so much that some people might have mistaken them to be related. He had dark messy black hair like hers but he had more color to his skin than hers. She was pale like a vampire.

His warm brown eyes bore into her forehead. After a moment of his staring, she finally looked up to see him still looking her way.

"What?" she asked, oblivious to everything.

"Haven't even started school and your nose is already buried in a book!" he exclaimed dramatically.

She rolled her eyes at him and looked down to continue reading only to have her book be yanked away.

"Hey! That's not nice of you, you know?"

He only flicked through the pages and after he was done looking through the book, he handed it over back to her.

"Death Omens?" he asked her unsurely.

She only nodded and ignored the sigh that left Caelum's Black mouth.

~————————————————~

"I'm bored" Caulem whined after half an hour on the train.

"Hi Bored, I'm Nyx," she responded without giving him a glance.

"You know that's not what I meant," he continued speaking.

She finally carefully placed her book down next to her and started to stare at him.

"What?" he now asked, shifting under her uncomfortable gaze.

"You have my full attention now," she merely shrugged without taking her gaze off of him.

"You're just being weird now. Stop it."

But she only continued to stare at him. Deep down, she was enjoying giving her friend anxiety.

"You said you were bored? Let's play a game called 'who can stare at the other the longest without breaking eye contact'"

"That's a really long name," he pointed out.

"Are you in or not?"

He only nodded and the game started.

Not even ten seconds and the boy started laughing uncontrollably.

"I won," she smirked. She waited a moment for Caelum to calm down a bit before they shook hands.

"I can never understand how you are capable of being serious all the time."