Chapter 14: The Black Queen Part 3

"It's no easy thing for a man to be a dragonslayer

"It's no easy thing for a man to be a dragonslayer. But dragons can kill dragons and have. The simple truth is we have more dragons than Aegon.", Daemon stated. "Viserys spoke often of the Valyrian histories. I know them well. When dragons flew to war... everything burned. I do not wish to rule over a kingdom of ash and bone.", Rhaenyra said.

"Are you considering the Hightowers terms, Your Grace?", one of the lords questioned. "As Queen what is my true duty to the realm Lord Bartimos? Ensuring peace and unity? Or that I sit on the Iron Throne no matter the cost?", Rhaenyra questioned. "That's your father talking,", Daemon butt in. "My father's dead. And he chose me as his successor... to defend the realm not cast it headlong into war.", Rhaenyra told him.

"But the enemy have declared war!", Daemon yelled. "Daemon!", I shouted. "I'm speaking the truth Aaliyah! They declared war what is she gonna do about it?", Daemon questioned. "Clear the room.", Rhaenyra stated.

I sat down on my chair and watched as my wife walked over to our husband. "Does the promise of war excite you?", Rhaenyra asked Daemon. "You cannot bend the knee to the Hightowers. They stole your birth right.", Daemon stated. "If you could take the Iron Throne without outing Otto Hightowers head on a spike, would you?", she questioned walking closer to him.

I took a sip of my wine as I closely watched the two. "Are you and Aaliyah not angry?", Daemon asked. "I should declare war because I'm angry?", Rhaenyra questioned. "No. Because it's your duty as Queen to crush rebellion.", Daemon answered. "You know my oath reaches beyond our personal ambitions. A Song of Ice and Fire.", Rhaenyra stated. I got a confused look on my face never hearing of this before but it must be because it is not from my blood.

"What?", Daemon asked. "The coming war against the darkness in the North, The Conquerors Dream. Viserys shared it with me when he named me heir.", Rhaenyra answered. All of a sudden Daemon grabbed Rhaenyras throat. I quickly got up from my chair causing it to fall over.

"Daemon put her down!", I yelled. He quickly turned for me grabbing my neck also. "My brother...was a slave to his omens and portents. Anything to make his feckless reign appear to have purpose. Dreams didn't make us kings. Dragons did.", Daemon stated. I use my free hand to thankfully push him away from me and he lets go of Rhaenyra too.

We both grab a hold of each other's hand as we stared at our husband. "He never told you... did he?", Rhaenyra questioned. Daemon looked at the both of us and walked off. "Are you okay?", I asked Rhaenyra pulling her into a hug. "I'm okay.", she whispered placing a kiss on my lips. "Rhaenyra going into this war is dangerous.", I told her. "I know Lyah I'm trying my best to avoid it.", she stated. "I know you are and I shall be proud of you for that. But I can't lose you if you were to die I'd go mad.", I whispered leaning my head against my wife's.

I stood next to my children as the men continued to try and plot there war. "Is Rhaenyra okay?", Vaenya asked looking over at my wife. "She will be.", I answered. "Go be with her mother she needs you.", Vaeron said. "Thank you my kind boy.", I whispered. I then walked over to Rhaenyra placing my hand on her shoulder sending her a comforting smile.

"The purpose of war is to fill graveyards, my dear Lord Staunton. The trick is to put more of their men in the ground than your own.", Lord Bartimos said. "Easy word for a lord who commands from the safety of his castle.", another retaliated. "Doesn't make it any less true.", Lord Bartimos stated.

"The Lord of the Tides! Lord Corlys Velaryon... and his wife Princess Rhaenys Targaryen.", Ser Erryk called out. My wife stood up placing her hand in mine. "My Lords.", Lord Corlys stated. "Lord Corlys.", my wife whispered. "It brings much relief to see you hale and healthy again.", I said. "Thank you Queen of Skies. I'm very sorry to hear about your father Princess. He was a good man.", Lord Corlys said turning to Rhaenyra.

He took a look around the room. "Where is Daemon?", he asked. "There were other concerns which demanded the Princes attention.", Rhaenyra spoke. "Your declared allies?", Lord Corlys questioned looking at the table. "Yes.", she stated.

"Too few to win a war for the throne.", he told her. "Well we would also hope to have the support of Houses Arryn, Baratheon, and Stark.", Rhaenyra said. "Hope... is the fools ally.", Lord Corlys said. "Both Arryn and Baratheon share blood with my house. But all of them swore oaths to me.", Rhaenyra replied. "As did House Hightower if I remember.", he responded. "As did you, Lord Corlys.", she said. He gave her a look before turning to his wife about to say a few words that would change everything.

2nd TO LAST CHAPTER TILL THE END