Chapter 11: Lord of the Tides Part 2

The next day everyone was called into the throne room

The next day everyone was called into the throne room. "Though it is the great hope of this court the Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds we gather here with a grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand, I speak with the kings voice on this and all other matters. The crown will now here the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon.", Otto said.

Vaemond stepped up in front of everyone. "My Queen. My Lord Hand. The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen had ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebears came to this new land knowing that they were going to fail it would mean the end of there bloodlines and their name. I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brothers seat. I am Lord Corlys closest kin, his own blood. The true unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins.", Vaemond stated.

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your houses blood Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir. No you only speak for yourself and your own ambition.", Rhaenyra said. "You will have chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra. Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard.", Alicent told her.

"What do you know of Velaryon blood Princess? I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house not yours. My Queen, My Lord Hand... This is a matter of blood not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor... the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides.", Ser Vaemond said.

"Thank you Ser Vaemond. Princess Rhaenyra you may now speak for your son Lucerys Velaryon.", Otto said. "If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly 20 years ago in this very..", But before Rhaenyra could finish the door opened and in walked King Viserys my wife's father.

My wife's father slowly made his way to the throne. Once he finally made it over he turned to Otto. "I will sit the throne today.", he whispered. As he tried to walk up the stairs he struggled and ended up having the crown fall of his head. Daemon walked over to his brother grabbing it and helping him onto the throne and lastly placing the crown on top of King Viserys head.

"I must...admit my...confusion. I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession. The only one present who might offer keener insight into Lord Corlys wishes is the Princess Rhaenys.", Father spoke."I Indeed your grace. It was ever my husbands will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his true born son. Lucerys Velaryon. His mind never changed. Nor did my support of him. As a matter of fact Princess Rhaenyra has just informed me of her desire to marry her son Lucerys to Lord Corlys granddaughter Rhaena. A proposal to which I heartily agree.", Princess Rhaenys told the king.