Chapter 8: Driftmark Part 2

When I woke up Rhaenyra was laid in my arms

When I woke up Rhaenyra was laid in my arms. "Nyra wake up.", I whispered pushing the hair out her face placing a kiss on her head. "Lyah where's Daemon?", she asked. "Outside. Let's get dressed.", I told her. Nyra let out a yawn but then nodded.We both walk outside to Daemon and we see Vhagar in the sky. "A new rider already?", I questioned and Daemon nodded. "Who is it?", Nyra asked.

I stormed into the room followed by Rhaenyra and Daemon. "Vaenera. Vaenya.", I called out. "Jace? Luke!", Rhaenyra yelled. We both ran over to our children who were holding each other other. I bent down and see Vaenera with a scratch over her lips which was bleeding and Vaenya with a black eye.

"Are you both okay? Where's your brother?", I asked. "Asleep.", Vaenera stated. "He called the boys bastards.", Vaenya answered. I give Rhaenyra a look as I stood up. "Go you your father.", I stated placing a kiss on both there head. Both girls walk over to there father and I look down at Rhaenyras boys. "Who did this?", I asked. "They attacked me Aunt Aaliyah!", Aemond shouted.

All the children start shouting. "Silence!", Viserys yelled.  Viserys slowly walked over to his son. "Aemond I will have the truth of what happened. Now.", Viserys stated. "What else is there to here? Your son has been maimed. There children are responsible.", Alicent said. "It was a regrettable accident.", Rhaenyra replied. "Accident? The Prince Lucerys  brought a blade to the ambush. He meant to kill my son.", Alicent said.

"It was Rhaenyras and I's children who were attacked!", I shouted. "Vile insults were levied against both my sons.", Rhaenyra said. "What insults?", Viserys asked. "The legitimacy of my sons birth was put loudly to question.", Rhaenyra answered. "He called us bastards.", Jace added.

"My sons are in line to inherit the Iron Throne, Your Grace. This is the highest of treasons. Prince Aemond must be sharply questioned so we might learn where he heard such slanders.", Rhaenyra said. "Over an insult? My son has lost an eye.", Alicent stated. "You tell me boy. Where did you hear this lie?", Viserys asked.

"The insult was training yard bluster.", Alicent answered. "Aemond I asked you a question.", Viserys said. "Where is Ser Laenor, I wonder? The boys father? Perhaps he might have something to say in the matter.", Alicent said. "Cunt.", I whispered. "Aaliyah not now.", Rhaenyra stated.

"Yes where is Ser Laenor?", Viserys questioned. "I don't know. Your Grace. I could not find sleep. So I took a walk with Queen Aaliyah.", Rhaenyra answered. "Entertaining his young squires I would venture.", Alicent whispered loudly enough for most to hear. "Aemond...look at me. Your King demands an answer. Who spoke these lies to you?", Viserys asked.

Everyone's eyes fall to Alicent. "It was Aegon.", Aemond spoke. Our eyes shift over to Alicent eldest child. "Me?", Aegon questioned. "And you, boy? Where did you hear such calumnies? Aegon! Tell me the truth of it!", Viserys yelled. "We know father. Everyone knows. Just look at them.", Aegon said.

"This interminable infighting must cease! All of you! We are a family! Now make your apologies and show good will to one another. Your father, your grand sire, Your King demands it!", Viserys shouted. "That is insufficient. Aemond has been damaged permanently, My King. Good will cannot make him whole.", Alicent said. "I know Alicent. But I cannot restore his eye.", Viserys said.

"No because it has been taken.", Alicent replied. "What would you have me do?", Viserys asked. "There is a debt to be paid. I shall have one of her sons eyes in return.", Alicent stated. "My dear wife.", Viserys whispered. "He is your son Viserys. Your blood.", Alicent added. "Do not.. allow your temper to guide your judgment.", Viserys said.

"If the King will not seek justice the Queen will. Ser Criston bring me the eye of Lucerys Velaryon.", Alicent said. "Alicent.", Viserys whispered. "He can choose which eye to keep a privilege he did not grant my son.", Alicent said. "You will do no such thing.", Rhaenyra stated. "Stay your hand.", Viserys said. "No you are sworn to me!", Alicent yelled. "As your protector my Queen.", Ser Criston replied.

"Alicent this matter is finished. Do you understand?", Viserys questioned. Viserys goes to walk away. "And let it be known: anyone who's tounge dares to question the birth of Princess Rhaenyras sons should have it removed.", Viserys stated aloud. "Thank you father.", Rhaenyra whispered.

I placed my hand on Rhaenyras back as she turned to the children but a sudden loudness made me turn back. When I noticed what was happening I pushed Rhaenyra back hearing her scream my name. I grabbed Alicents hand which held the knife. "You've gone to far!", Rhaenyra yelled at Alicent. "Me? What have I done but what was expected of me. Forever uphold the kingdom, the family, the law. While you flout with Aaliyah to do as you please.", Alicent stated. A small smirk hits my face.

"You jealous I got with her first Alicent.", I whispered just enough for her to hear me. "I have no idea what you mean. She has no duty. No sacrifice. It's trampled under her pretty foot again!", Alicent yelled at me. "You need to stop this Alicent!", Rhaenyra yelled. "And now you take my sons eye, and to even that you feel entitled.", Alicent said turning to Rhaenyra.

"Exhausting wasn't it? Hiding beneath your own righteousness.", Rhaenyra said. "But now they see you as you are.", I finished Rhaenyras sentence. I finally gain enough strength to push Alicent back and I land in Rhaenyras arms. I feel something drop on my arm. Blood.

I am sitting on the chair as the maester stitched me arm. There was a knock on the door and Daemon walks in. "Are you all okay?", he asked. "The worst is Queen Aaliyah's arm.", the maester answered. Daemon walked over to the girls and our son. "How are all of you?", he asked. "Good dadda.", Vaeron spoke. I let out a smile as he interacted with the kids.

"If should leave a scar but nothing worse.", the maester stated. He got up and said goodbye and left the room. Lillian walked into our room as I watched Daemon play with the kids with a smile on my face. "My Queen may I take the children?", Lilian asked. "Of course.", I answered. The kids followed Lilian out and Daemon sat on the chair in front of me.

"You protected Rhaenyra?", Daemon questioned. "Of course. I'd die for her Daemon.", I stated. "I would die for the both of you.", Daemon said getting up and kissing me. "Would you like to go see Rhaenyra?", Daemon asked. "Of course my love.", I said.

When Daemon and I walk over to Rhaenyra I go over holding her hand. "Hi my love. Are you okay?", she asked kissing my cheek. "I'm okay.", I said resting my head on her shoulder grateful she was finally a bit taller than me.

"Fire is such strange power. Everything our houses possess is owed to it. Yet it has cost us what we love.", Rhaenyra spoke. "Perhaps the Velaryons knew the truth of it. The sea is the better ally.", Daemon replied. "Fire is a prison.", I whispered. "The sea offers an escape.", Rhaenyra said.

"I need you both. Not just Aaliyah Daemon I need both of you. I cannot face the greens without you both. Let us all bind our bloods, just as Aegon the Conqueror did with his sisters. With you as my husband and Prince consort and Aaliyah as my wife and Princess consort. My claim would not be so easily challenged. The Velaryons are of the sea. But we are made of fire. The three of us have always meant to burn together.", Rhaenyra told us.

"Aaliyah and I could not marry you unless Laenor were dead.", Daemon stated. "I know.", Rhaenyra said. "Then so he shall be.", I whispered.

"I will not be a tyrant. And rule through terror", Rhaenyra said. "A tyrant rules only through terror. If the King isn't feared he is powerless.", Daemon told her. "If you want to be a strong Queen, you must cultivate love and respect I speak from experience. But your subjects must have some fear for you. They must have as much love as fear for you.", I stated.

"I do love Laenor.", Rhaenyra whispered. "Then grant him this kindness. Set him free.", Daemon spoke. "This will cost Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys their only remaining child. And the realm will whisper that I was somehow responsible.", Rhaenyra said. "Let them whisper. We will know the truth of it. And our enemies won't.", I stated. "They will fear what else we all will be capable of together.", Rhaenyra whispered. "Then they shall fear.", Daemon said standing up and holding our hands.

Done