13

the next two weeks went by fast. i spoke to leah everyday. the girls are now on their break for christmas.

i was helping to prepare dinner with some of my cousins and aunties.

someone stood behind me and covered my eyes.

"guess who" they said. i know that voice anywhere.

"leah" i shouted. i turned around, jumping into her arms and kissing her lips.

almost my entire family was gathered into the kitchen or standing at the door. it's very hard to get a moment of privacy in this house.

"hola abuela ¿Cómo estás? (how are you)" leah said to my grandma. she went over and hugged her.

"estoy muy bien ¿cómo estás?" she replied.

"soy genial gracias" leah answered. i'm impressed. i've never heard her speak this much spanish before.

"your spanish is very good leah" abuela said.

"thank you" leah said.

i took leah to my room and sat her on the bed.

"what are you doing here" i asked.

"i came to see you." she said. "i planned it with your dad and abuela"

"just letting you know now, your about to get bombarded by my family" i said. she laughed nervously.

"i also promised you a date" she said.

"and i cant wait" i said.

"is this where all my clothes went?" leah asked, noticing that i was wearing her jumper and her joggers. i nodded cheekily.

the door opened and in walked mateo.

"hola everyone wants to meet you leah" he said.

"told you" i said. she laughed.
"we'll come down later. tell everyone to just wait" 

"¿De verdad pensó que estábamos saliendo? (did she really think we were dating)" he asked while laughing.

"sí mateo. Olvídalo (forget about it)" i said.

"are you talking about me again" leah asked shyly.

"sorry baby" i said and kissed the side of her head.

we sat together and enjoyed each other's company until juan came up.

"abuela said dinner is made" he said as he walked in.

"hola leah" he said.

"hi buddy." she said. he came over and hugged her.

"i still need to see how good you are at football remember" she said.

"oh yeah. we can play after dinner" he said.

we went down and everyone was sat at the table. it was very full and there were no spaces for me and leah to sit together.

my uncle stood up and went to the kitchen which freed the seat opposite leah. i quickly sat down facing leah and she gave me a smile.

she got speaking to some of my younger cousins about random things.

my uncle came back and saw me in his seat.

"maría" he sighed with slight annoyance.

"Lo siento, tío, quería sentarme con Leah (sorry uncle i wanted to sit with leah)" i said gesturing to leah opposite me.

he shook his head and walked off to find another seat.

after we ate, some of us went outside.

i sat with mateo on the swinging bench and watched as our little cousins aged 7-12 dragged leah to play football with them.