Bonus Chapter

"Yeah, my birthday," Austin murmured as Anastasia drew hearts on his palm.

Anastasia Landry.

His wife.

He wiggled his brows happily.

They'd been married for almost two weeks and it was indeed the greatest almost two weeks of his life.

"What do you want to do? I know it's after Christmas, and my parents are having a party for New Year, but we don't have to go," Anastasia trailed off, giddy and settled by her husband.

Since coming home from their honeymoon, she only wanted to spend time with Austin.

She had more fun with him at the excavation sight than she thought was possible. And their visit to New York was delightful. She felt safe with Austin's arm secured around her as they toured the city that never slept and had the biggest rats she'd ever seen.

Something she wanted to forget.

"Your folks," Austin murmured and suddenly remembered the envelope they gave him. "They gave me a envelope, chère, at the wedding," He reluctantly, very reluctantly separated from her and hurried to the closet where his suit was hanging.

He reached inside the chest pocket and found the envelope.

"It's real fancy," He said after returning to his wife.

Wife.

Ugh.

"Lemme see what they give me,"

Anastasia hummed, curious as well.

He opened the neatly sealed envelope and found a thick fancy card with his name written in cursive.

"Hmm,"

He opened the card and found words. Many words.

'Dear, Austin,

We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the way we treated you.

You could've spoken back in the same harsh manner, and yet you only spoke the truth.

Thank you.

Words aren't enough, they never have been, but we hope you accept our words. Trace actions and see if they are true.

You are a blessing to our daughter.

God knew who she needed. Thank you for being her friend and now husband.

We are honored to have you as a Son-in-Law.

Once again, our words may never be enough, and we will fall short.

Please, don't take this as a way to cover our wrongs, but as our way of saying we appreciate you, and if we had been kind to you in the beginning, we still would've done this.

Enclosed in the back fold of this letter is a check made out to you, Austin Landry.

We know that you will do everything to provide for our daughter, and it pleases us to know, but do accept our gift to further fuel your feat.

In addition to the first check, Dominic mentioned your birthday was at the end of the month. If you may, consider the second as an early birthday gift.