Twenty-Three

Exactly one week later, Austin and Anastasia were back in the same spot, but this time there was no movie to divide their attention.

They wanted to simply be.

"I think it's alright, chère."

Anastasia rolled her eyes. "Says the man who likes eating ox tails,"

"Look, chère, you liked it til you thought yourself out of it. I never liked caviar. I don't know how you folks can eat it like it's chicken," He gagged playfully, making her smile.

He'd say it a million times.

He loved her smile.

He loved her laugh.

He loved her.

"You got the prettiest smile, just gorgeous," He praised, making her blush.

He loved it when she blushed too.

Everything about her was worthy to be adored.

And she was tickled.

Austin made her feel like she could fly a kite underwater.

He was her sweetheart.

"And you have the loveliest heart," She countered.

He loved her compliments.

She wasn't a superficial woman.

Before he had an idea that she could possibly want him, she'd complimented his heart, taking it without another word.

She saw him as God said he was, and it blessed his soul.

"I love you, chère," Austin kissed her tenderly and then twirled her hair between his fingers.

He loved her hair.

Anastasia's phone buzzed and she pouted.

Why did someone need to tell her something right now?

Didn't they know the man she loved was sweetly loving her?

Still, she picked it up.

Mother: Saturday we're hosting the annual charity benefit. Arrive at 5:45 PM. I'd like the family to arrive before the guests. You may extend the invitation to Austin, as he is in the number.

"My goodness," Anastasia murmured and handed her phone to Austin, who was gauging her reaction as she read the message.

He always watched her.

She was too beautiful to miss.

He scanned the message and shook his head. "I'll be,"

Diana was inviting him.

And there was no remark about his ways or need to be reformed for her liking.

That was alright with him.

"Would you go with me?"

He scoffed at her question and kissed her hands.

Sweet hands.

"I wouldn't dare let you go alone, ma beautiful chère. You'll have all eyes on you the moment you walk in the room," He kissed her palm and held her gaze.

Sweet eyes.

"And, you know it's important to me that we cherish our last days together. We'll have a week and a half left," He hated that.

Anastasia's heart dropped and she looked at their hands.

This wouldn't last.

Soon, he'd be gone.