Twenty-Four

Tomorrow morning, Austin was going to be with Anastasia as she said goodbye to Benjamin.

It wouldn't be a bright morning, but he hoped God would bring some sunshine for her.

Anything to help her get through it.

For now, he was reading the Bible.

Something he'd been doing consistently since Anastasia encouraged him to read.

He wanted to know about God and how to live right.

The Word was becoming a lamp and light to Austin.

Honestly, he didn't expect it to be so good and make sense. But he was learning that God and His Word were timeless.

He'd just finished reading Ephesians 4, which pricked his heart and made him think of what it meant to walk in the way of Christ.

"That, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth," Austin reread the verse to see if it would make practical sense.

A sigh left his lips.

The Bible was complex.

"Lord, I ain't got a clue how to put on a new self. How do you even do that? Do I gotta take myself off? I figured I already did," He didn't mean to grumble, it was just frustrating to him.

He wanted to do right.

"I oughta keep on," He murmured and started in chapter 5. "Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma."

It still didn't make sense.

"But sexual immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be mentioned among you, as is proper among saints; and there must be no filthiness or foolish talk, or vulgar joking, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. For this you know with certainty, that no sexually immoral or impure or greedy person, which amounts to an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God."

Austin closed the book and sucked his teeth.

He got it now.

He definitely got it now.

If this is what the Bible said, if this is what God wanted, this meant that Austin couldn't go back.

He couldn't back to what God saved him from.

It was like a lightbulb moment, but he was confused now.

Clearing his throat, he spoke, "Uh, Lord, it makes sense, but I don't know what to do. I ain't even know you ain't want me to do that stuff, my songs," He scratched his jaw, feeling unsure and a bit stupid. "It's all no good, and if I go back, I'll be messin in all that stuff you say is bad,"

It made sense.

It didn't make sense.

Well, it did make sense.

All of it.

He just wasn't sure how he could get out of doing back.

"Lord, I tried before," He paused and shook his head. "Man,"

He did try before.

But that was for the sake of staying with Anastasia.

Not for the sake of honoring God.