Pt1. Departure

"Visual contact, target is moving along the track." You inch forward with a radio in your ear, your dark cloak shrouding you in the night.

<bzzt>"Roger, keep an eye on her. Once she's inside send up the signal and I'll trip the alarms. Lucky break that we both chose this target."

You frown as you hiss into your radio, "Keep chatter to a minimum. If you ignore the plan it's not even worth reviewing, over and out."

<bzzrt>". . . copy that agent nagging ninja. Seriously how can you be so cool and such a buzz kill at the same time-?"

You shake your head squinting down the long corridor as the bat slinks through security lasers and around cameras. All things considered Rouge was pretty impressive when it came to burglary, but it was a shame that she didn't use her skills for more than jewel thievery. Still, getting a chaos emerald out of it would sweeten the deal so maybe she had the right idea.

You continue shadowing her through vents, hallways and secured blocks of the building all the while remaining a whisper in the darkness. She comes upon a large door with a keypad to the side. You see her gently tap on it for a moment before moving over to the keypad, inputting a quick combo of digits before a red light turned green and the door quietly hissed open.

Sorry bat, you lose this time.
You take a metal pellet out of your belt and gently toss it as a security laser before your pupils dilate, the world slowing down around you as you dash through the door and come into a large atrium. A chaos emerald sat suspended between two metal pans, it's energy being siphoned away through the attached tubes.

The pellet hits the laser as Rouge's expression lights up at the emerald- the alarms blare and in the blink of an eye the emerald vanishes. Her expression drops, "are you kidding me-?" She flaps her wings and jumps back as the doors begin locking down. You slip out of a vent and make your way to the roof of the complex, the dim moonlight silhouetting your form while the emerald glows weakly behind your cloak.

"Package is received, cue the fireworks." You tuck and roll down the arched metal, springing off the ledge and soaring through the air. All around the area below rumbles echoing into the night, getting louder and louder as various explosives go off in series. The ground under the massive complex begins to sink in, the walls breaking down and falling into the ever expanding pit. You pick up the pace, dodging around the many robot deploying in response to the intrusion. They all rush toward where the emerald was being held as you dodge their lines of sight.
This was child's play in your element.
The world rushes by in a flash as you jump from the roof and into the surrounding forest, sprinting through the trees with a sinister satisfaction in your eyes.
Poor doctor, if only his toys weren't so easy to break...

You cackle to yourself, talking into your radio again. "Prepare for evac, I'm on my way now. 2 minutes."

<bzzt>"You're kidding. It'll take at least 15 if not 20 minutes, East. Don't be cocky."

You streamline your body, tying the emerald to your back and bursting through the forest on all fours. Reaching the edge of the forest you jump off a cliff, a boat waiting in the water below. You reach a hand out and catch the mast, performing several flips as you descend before landing on the deck quietly. "That's a wrap, team! Let's get out of here!"

-----

Tails sits in his workshop, looking through the files that had been retrieved from Eggman's old console. He glances down to his side, the comb that he gave you sitting lonely beside his bench. He sighs as he looks at it, his mind wandering to the last time he saw you locked up in that cage... You looked scared, like a lost child that didn't know what to do.
What had they gone through to make them so closed off, and so frightened? Why Eggman? Why join Eggman-?
He tinkers with some metal pieces on his desk idly before setting them down and reclining his head back. It wasn't adding up. Someone of your skill would be capable of a lot of things with the right motivation.. Maybe you were lost after all, just looking for something to hold on to, a place to call home. The scene of you inside Eggman's mech came back into his mind as he retraces all of your pensiveness. He hadn't noticed at the time but despite shutting the bomb down you still looked troubled. Like it didn't make you happy, like it was a worthless act.