Nine

"I'm listening," the voice spoke up as I stared between the two of them. 

     "Not here. I need to talk to you someplace more private," Michael's voice spoke up over the blaring TV in the background.

     "Why?"

     "I just do, Jack."

     Jack turned and looked at me for a moment before stepping out onto the porch. I stepped out beside him and closed the door.

     "Go ahead. My old man can't hear you."

     "I need a ride. To Pasadena," Michael said.

     "Not only do you now think I'm your chauffeur, but isn't that in like, California?" Jack asked looking distressed.

     "Yeah."

     "Look, man, what is this, a shakedown? I went to Dallstrom like you wanted. I'm not going to let you keep bullying me. I'll go to the teachers and tell them what you did," Jack glared.

     "Calm down. I'm not here to bully you. You're the only one I can go to with this," Michael said looking nervous.

     "Why not your old man? Or your mom?"

     "I don't have a father and haven't you seen the news?"

     "What..?"

     "His mother was kidnapped," I said as they both stopped and looked at me. I then looked to Michael. "And you think she's in Pasadena. Jack...just give him a ride."

     Jack glared at me, about to snap before Michael offered him three-hundred dollars which finally convinced him.

     "Well now that that's settled, when are we going?" I asked.

     "As soon as possible," Michael said.

     "Just us?" Jack asked.

     "And my friend Ostin."

     "And yeah yeah yeah, we know Jack. You're gonna bring Wade. Go call him up. Oh, and, I hope you know that I'm going too."

     Both Michael and Jack looked at me before both saying, "Absolutely not."

     "Uhm. Excuse me? And why is that?"

     "I'd be killed if something happened to you," was all Jack could say. It was also his way of saying that he just didn't want me to get hurt.

     "There's no reason for you to get yourself wrapped up in this," Michael said, not meeting my gaze.

     "Mhm. Well, oh well for both of you. I'm going either way. And I ended up wrapped up in all of this the moment I met you Michael, so I don't want to hear it," I said before getting into Jack's Camaro.

     After a few minutes, Jack came over to the car. "We're going to meet him and Ostin at 7-Eleven. Wade will be here soon to go with us. Oh, and you'll be coming home with me and Wade. There's no way you're going to stay with that stupid eel."

     "We'll see about that," I muttered.

     Fifteen minutes later, Jack, Wade, and I arrived at 7-Eleven to get Michael and Ostin. It was clear from the second I saw Ostin's face, that he had no idea Wade was going along. This meant that I ended up having to sit in between Ostin and Wade in the back seat of the Camaro because Jack had Michael sit up front. There was clearly no way that Wade and Ostin would sit next to each other, so being the kind person I am, I decided to just sit between them. In realty, it was that or I couldn't go along.

     ***

     I don't know how long I have been in that vehicle, but I knew that it was way too long. I was squished between Ostin who was reading a book, and Wade who was playing his DS while not being able to keep his mouth shut.

     "Hey, Wade. Ever wonder what a thousand volts would feel like on your tongue?" I asked him completely fed up with his antics and rudeness to Ost

     The grin he had on his face disappeared. "No."

     "Then keep your mouth shut for right now."

     Wade glared at me before putting his earbuds back in and ignoring the world. I saw Michael look back at me with a smile. "Thanks," he said.

     "Eh, it was nothing," I grinned back before returning to my world of made up scenarios. 

     As I was lost in my head, here and there I heard Michael and Jack telling little bits and pieces about themselves. Then, they moved on to Wade for a little bit before moving onto me.

     Right as I was about to respond, Jack beat me to it. "I don't really know a whole lot, and I don't think she'd be happy if I told you. I think that's something you need to ask her about. Even then, you might not get anything."

     I smiled. Jack knows almost everything about me, minus the powers, but I will say that it was very kind of him to not say anything about me. Those parts of my life will come back sooner rather than later, so I'll have to be ready to face them. Just not today.

A/N

GAAAAHHHH! I AM SO SORRY! IT'S BEEN FOREVER SINCE I UPDATED!! SCHOOL IS JUST SO UGH! BUT I AM SO THANKFUL TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE STILL WITH THIS STORY! Finals are coming up, so I don't really know when I'll be able to update, but second semester should be easier then this first semester. I really hope you like this short chapter and more should be on the way soon. I just want to give everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays!