Seven

"Y/n!" 

     "Huh?" I looked over my shoulder quizzically and saw Ostin walking up to me. 

     "We need to talk. It's important."

     "Ok, but like, I've only had air for breakfast, so can it like wait till after lunch?"

     "It's a lot more important then lunch. Come on."

     "Ok then." I followed Ostin out of the lunch room and into the courtyard. "I'm guessing Michael is grabbing Taylor?"

     "Yes, he is. He better hurry up too."

     "Thought so," I muttered.

     "Ostin looked over at me. "You like him, don't you?"

     "Huh? What?" Before I could be harassed anymore, Michael and Taylor walked over and Ostin stood up, clutching a piece of paper looking grave. 

     "Everyone sit down. Remember last meeting? We were wondering about what might have happened around those days you were born."

     "The eleven days," Michael says. "When all the babies died."

     "Exactly. What I did was look through the newspaper for anything that began the day or week before April sixteenth. Everything looked pretty usual until I found this." He held up a sheet of paper. "It's a newspaper article from The Los Angeles Times." He then read it out loud.

     A/n: I'm sorry, I really don't feel like writing it all out!

     "Now, here's the clincher," Ostin said after setting the paper down. "Twelve days later a small article ran in the Times saying that the MEI experiment had been temporarily suspended due to some minor technical malfunction."

     "Yeah that was definitely a 'minor technical malfunction.'" I rolled my eyes at it. "Clearly all those babies started dying the day the machine was turned on and ended the day it was turned off."

    "Yeah because those odds would be crazy impossible. The machine must have something to do with it," Ostin says.

     "And if the machine was somehow responsible for those deaths..." Taylor trailed off. 

     "The people who owned the machine wouldn't want others to find out about what happened to all of those babies or they could be sued for millions," Michael finished.

     "Hundreds of millions," Ostin said.

     "If they knew that we knew..." I looked at everyone before setting my eyes on Taylor. "You didn't happen to look all of that stuff up on a computer at your home, did you?"

     "Yes, why?"

     Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ostin combing his fingers back through his hair. "I was afraid of that."

     "What's wrong with that?" Michael asked.

     "Hopefully, nothing. But they might have set up spiders."

     Taylor asked, "What's that?"

     "Spiders comb the Web looking for references to certain topics of inquiries. They could have programmed their computer to alert them whenever someone looks up a certain topic."

      "Such as birth records at Pasadena General during those eleven days," Michael says.

     Ostin nodded his head. "Exactly," He said breathlessly. "You need to clear off anything on your computer connected to that search, cookies and everything. If they track you down..."