Chapter 9

Caroline:

What was the deal with him calling me his date? He had issues and shouldn't drag me into his ex's drama. He's so aggravating. I had too much to deal with already. My former tutor student was here trying to take me back. My parents believed we were soulmates. There's no way in hell that's happening. I mentally rubbed my

To keep myself busy from getting sucked into future conversations after college, I ate and drank. Mostly ate. They served great appetizers, and the rolls were soft. They had mini wontons and shrimp. I haven't eaten since breakfast, so this was worth it. Mom and dad continued on speaking about me like I was not present. I rolled my eyes and chewed on one noodle. I knew what I wanted to do when my college years were over. I had it all planned out since I was 11. I sniffed Eucalyptus again, coming from my diffuser necklace. I fiddled it with my index finger and thumb.

"Caroline applied for the internship at Johns Hopkins. The same one I had. Isn't that right, Caroline?" Mom asked outright, breaking out from my mind. A piece of shrimp was hanging from the corner of my mouth. I wiped it away and nodded.

"That's great to hear, have you gotten your acceptance letter?" The man with horned rimmed glasses asked. Mom had been talking to him for 15 minutes. I forgot his name. I've been calling him HRG (Horned Rimmed Glasses) in my mind.

"Not yet," I answered hesitantly.

"You're gonna love it," HRG said. "When you get in."

"That's what mom said." When I get in, I'm still waiting for the email.

"Beautiful campus." I sighed, focusing on my food. I should check my phone for any new emails. I snuck out my phone from my purse and scrolled through my inbox. Nothing. I should do a keyword search. I typed in Johns Hopkins. My application popped up. I typed in 'acceptance,' no emails of the sort. I rolled my eyes and tucked it back in. "My son had an internship there last year." The conversation went on as I ate. I nodded listening half way. "Caroline? Did you hear?" Dad chimed in.

"Huh? Hear what?" I asked.

"Nicholas's father was telling us that he had an internship there for his major."

"Huh." I nibbled on the lettuce off my fork. Was that supposed to entice me? He didn't care about me so why should I care about him? He could date whoever he wanted. "Who's his father?"

"Mr. Pierce," dad said, pointing to HRG. Oh. I didn't see the resemblance until he smiled. He had the same smile as his son.

"Oh." I ate without saying anything else. Another chair pulled out and Nicholas sat next to his father. He grinned smugly, adjusting the collar of his blazer and opened the napkin to place it on his lap. I grimaced and sneered.

"Why are you here?" I asked harshly.

"Caroline!" Mom scolded in a hushed voice.

"What?"

"Forgive our daughter, the date didn't go well," mom tittered.

"Because your son wasn't interested," I muttered.

"I tried to call her," Nicholas said with a dry chuckle.

"I guess your phone must have been broken, I texted you a few times, no response."

"You seemed interested in Cameron on the dance floor. And you claim you don't like him." Mom chimed in.

I scoffed, choking on my food. I took a huge gulp from my glass of water and coughed, hitting my chest.

"Cameron? That douche with the messy hair? He doesn't seem like your type." He snorted.

"He's not my type, I don't like him. And it was one dance. I'm not interested." I said defensively.