Chapter 7

Caroline:

Cameron sent me the edited outline, it was flawless. I reread it nine times in case he made any changes or grammar mistakes. No mistakes on the document. Douche. I sent mine as well, edited and cleaned up and added my own venn diagram for extra credit. He replied: 'cut out the venn diagram and I can add a marginal part of yours to mine.' I rolled my eyes. I wrote it down again in my planner. He might think I'm doing this to take the piss out of him but I wasn't kidding. It's a record just in case he turns on me or pretends to take credit. I dated it and wrote the time, too. I emailed him that I was about to send the outline to our professor. He replied back minutes later with an 'ok.' I submitted as instructed. I multitasked with my other assignments for the week, checked with Grammarly or edits and submitted them. I set alarms and deadline dates to keep myself on track.

It's Parents' weekend, I had my dress prepped, a weekend schedule for me and my parents, note cards for fun facts for the night. I memorized it, saved it for backup. Dad was the alumni of th Frat, his Greek life was what he knew when he was my age. I sighed, watching the time pass away as I read the assigned chapters for Biology. I had the quiz on the next tab open to begin, rereading each passage for the answer. After I was done, I dropped my laptop and scrolled through my phone. Dylan texted me again, for the next hour we had a conversation of our own plans this weekend. It's only been three weeks of the semester but I have been enjoying the college experience. Michelle was going on another date with Daniel. She asked me when I was going on one with Dylan. I wasn't interested in dating or relationships. I was turning in my assignments on time, double checking everything. Now that we sent our outline, we had to do a draft. I started the first with a thesis. I got everything done. I wasn't looking for a boyfriend. Boyfriends brought complications and paranoia. Companionship. Friends. College should be about lifelong friends we connect with, not romance. I texted him if he wanted to get some food tonight. We're just hanging out, nothing serious. He replied back with a cool. Ok, it was just a hang out. I texted him again and suggested the bistro on campus. He replied with 'cool' again. I told him the time to meet up and he replied with a cool. Again. I could do this, it's not a love connection and he knows it. But I had to be sure before anything else.

We hung out in his dorm, he ordered takeout and we hooked up. Hands stuff only. I was rusty and awkward, fumbled, but he enjoyed it. I think. He made it clear he wanted to have fun, no relationship. I wasn't looking for one either. It made me content that he wasn't the type. He suggested we do this more often: takeout and sex. I told him I would think about it. I'm in college, I barely put in spontaneous activities for myself. I could give this a try.

***

Saturday came, I was dressed accordingly: light purple dress, black cardigan, hair down and curled, completing my ensemble with black low heels. We're going to be walking around a lot. I switched it out to ballerina flats instead. I wore a silver diffuser necklace around my neck to complete my ensemble.

My parents were proud of me being here, I almost lost my scholarship on that fateful day. I never seen dad furious at me before, he assumed I wanted to set an education institution on fire like a pyromaniac. I wanted to show them I was doing well, no arguments, no trouble. Everything was on schedule. They arrived at 12:30pm, I gave them big hugs and told them how much I missed them. Mom's hair was wrapped up in a scarf. The colors of her dress were bold: black and yellow completed with matching shoes. Dad was in his simple black suit with red pinstriping on the jacket collar. Her brown eyes widened when she saw me. She opened my arms, examined my outfit, scanning up and down. She smiled and then she noticed my hair. She frowned, reaching up to fix my strands.

"Your hair's messy," she said, focusing on my head. No, it's not.

"Mom," I whined.

"It would have been better if you had it up," she gave me a soft smile. "Show off your elegant neck." She pulled it up for a bun style with her extra rubber band and grinned. "That's better." Updo hairstyles gave me a headache when it's too tight. Especially when mom did it. It was pulling right now.