Chapter 4

Cameron:

My schedule was simple to follow. I thrived on routine. I woke up at 5am every day, go to the school gym across the campus and work out for an hour. I shower, get dressed, have breakfast at the nearest cafe instead of the dining hall for a croissant egg sandwich with avocado and tomato with a black coffee. It's been the same since high school. Only with weekly initiations and a dorm. Our first initiations as pledges: wear a diaper the whole week. Daniel and I share two classes for the semester, Literature 101 and Calculus 102. I shared Intro Biology and Nutrition 100 with Caroline. I knew that because she had sat in the front row for the past two weeks. I memorized my syllabus and set alarms for studying and I was chafing. As stupid as they were, it was tradition. The first two weeks of classes went by, I made sure I made it on time before anyone. This would be my year to show what I made of. Show my father I made my own decisions. I wrote down the header to get ready for notes. I sat in the middle for Biology. Professor Stein called out names for attendance after we wrote our names on the sign-in sheet when we walked in, and I heard her name. I browsed around, spotting her in the front. Typical grade grubber. I noticed that she came back to the party chatting up with some upperclassmen dude. Whatever, at least he kept her occupied. He could deal with her crap.

I paid attention to the professor, she's going over the syllabus as we followed along. My next class, Nutrition 100 was a prerequisite for me, which had to be taken. Personally I didn't see the point of it. I ate whatever I wanted and went to the gym. Why would it be considered a class? I completed the myplate course, turned it in for the first week. I laid back in my seat, watching her back as she pulled out her things. I shook my head, at least we had the same idea to keep our distance. Professor Davidson wrote on the board the definition of nutrition. I rested my fist under my chin, taking notes. He broke it down, from each food we eat to the vitamin supplements. "As humans, what we eat creates energy. From carbohydrates to minerals and vitamins for nourishment, our body has the ability to tell if it is good for you or if it tells you something is wrong." Hmm, I guess I never thought of it that way. He cleared his throat, shuffling papers on his desk.

"Ok, so as you can see in the syllabus there is a project due in two months. It is  in three parts, so you will be partnered up, two people only. The two of you will create a meal plan that is nutritious and follows the recommended daily intake of each food item. You can also add snacks however it has to be in moderation.

Along with your discussions and assignments during the duration of the semester, it must be submitted on time. If there is any time you are not able to meet the deadline for the assignments, please let me know through email. There will also be a student message board on the school website to ask questions during the semester. The project will count as 50% of your grade, so please use as much research and cite your resources in APA style."

"Does it have to be everything we ate?" A boy next to me with a flat top hairstyle asked.

"Yes, it's to keep track of the types of serving measurements and intake of vitamins and minerals," the professor answered.

"Can we pick any partner?" A girl with curly black hair asked after she raised her hand.

"I have assigned partners for everyone. Please check your emails on the class message board to see who you will be working with." I wasn't a fan of partnership, I worked alone. I liked working alone, anyone that I work with might slow me down. I didn't even do well with group projects, I finished before anyone else did. I didn't trust anyone that could cause me to fail. The person in the front row was the cause of my mistrust.

I raised my hand and asked, "what if we want to work alone, is that a choice?"

"It must be a partnership."

I sighed, logging into the class site, I spotted the notification, clicking on my name. I checked, I checked again. It couldn't be. I didn't want to make a scene. Caroline turned around, scowling at me. She's my partner. As much as I wanted to scream, deciding against all of this, I kept my cool.

"Expect another email tonight for more information if you see your assigned partner. If you don't have one, please let me know as soon as possible. You will work together and have an outline ready of your analysis. If you want to meet up with your assigned partner, please exchange contact information to stay in touch. If you have questions, I do provide office hours after class. Thank you all. Have a great rest of your day." He dismissed us. I packed my things, I asked for his audience, hoping I could be the exception.

"Professor, about this partnership thing. Would it be ok if I worked alone?"

"Is there a problem, Mr. Davis?" He asked with a stern voice. "I assigned everyone, no exception."

"I'd rather do this by myself, please. I do better that way."

"Is there a reason you don't want to work with your problem?" I didn't want the first project to be difficult this semester, then my dad finds out I'm working with a girl I despised. Instead I told him, "I'm just better alone."

"I'm sorry you feel that way. It's the assignment and everyone has a partner, no exceptions. If there is anything else about the assignment conflicts or if you don't understand it, non personal, let me know. I do have office hours and you can email me as well if I'm not around."

I nodded and sighed, exiting the class. I spotted Caroline passed by, she looked back at me with a blank stare, heading out the building. She pushed the doors hard, the feeling's mutual. I would be fine. I could handle it this time. There were no dangerous chemicals around. I went back to my room at the frat house, it was empty. My roommate, Chris, was nowhere in sight. He was one of the kind of roommates that minded his own business. He stayed out of the way. We met during orientation, he's my pledge brother as well. Another coincidence: his father and mother were owners of the banks, B&A banking, which funded one of my dad's ads all over town. I laid on my bed, I should close my eyes for a few seconds before I go to my other classes. I heard my phone ring, the theme song Star Wars played. I knew exactly who it was. I let it play for a bit before I picked up the phone. "Hello, father," I answered.

"Son, how are your classes?" He asked, his voice was pointed

"I only went to two today." I kept my eyes closed while I spoke to him. My father, as hardworking as he was, was a stern, strict man that had to keep up appearances and routine. I could picture the frown on his face as he spoke.

"How were the two classes?" he asked.

"Exceptional," I answered.

"Good. I know Parents day is in two weeks. Your mother and I will arrive at the frat house at 9 am on the day."

"Yes, sir." Parents day was scheduled during the first month in two weeks on saturday. All of the parents and guardians come to visit the students for the weekend. Plus it was also the alumni dinner at the frat.

"It will be an immense feeling to walk through the house to feel nostalgia."

"I bet, dad."

"Well, I will see you in two weeks." We hung up, I sat up from the bed, heading downstairs for my next class.

I opened my email when I heard the notification. My partner was Caroline. I had to be sure if there had to be another Caroline. I reread it. Caroline, it's Caroline Peterson. She already entered her number on the message board. I guess we had to do this. I copied her number, texted her: Caroline, it's Cameron.