Chapter Fifteen: Tartarus

Tartarus

Tartarus, a primordial god but also a location. A place dark and grim, far below the Gaia— located in the deepest gulf beneath the earth…as far beneath Hades as heaven is above earth.

It is in the depth of the wide-pathed Earth, so remote that a brazen anvil falling down from heaven nine nights and days would reach the earth upon the tenth: and again, a brazen anvil falling from earth nine nights and days would reach Tartarus upon the tenth.

Where darkness reign is where Tartarus is, a powerful Titan with no earthly pains. He preferred to keep to himself, away from the drama, the strife and the wealth. He found peace in the darkness, the silence profound,
Where he could think, and contemplate, without a sound.

But as the ages passed, and the world changed.
New gods emerged, with different ranges.
They came with promises, of hope and light, but Tartarus saw through their lies, their endless fight.

He watched as they fought, and struggled to gain power and control, their ambition insane.
But Tartarus didn't care, he didn't mind for he knew their power, was but a sham, a shine.

He knew that true strength, came from within.
Not from the gods with their petty spin.
So he kept to himself, his power intact, watching over the inhabitants of his realm, Titans, mortals and gods alike.

"How was the underworld?" Hebe's voice carries the warmth of genuine interest as she addresses Persephone.

Persephone spares a moment from her thoughts to share her experiences. "It was dark, but oddly peaceful," she begins, her fingers gently caressing the soft grass beneath her. She spoke of a place where shadows danced in eternal twilight. "I've seen countless mortals pass through its gates, both those who find solace and the unfortunate souls consigned to Tartarus."

Your curiosity rises, you lean in, eager to know more. "What do you do there?" you question, your eyes locked onto Persephone's.

Persephone's lips curls in a thoughtful smile. She described her unusual days in the land of the dead, her tone carrying an ethereal quality. "I sit on the throne for what feels like an eternity, judging and welcoming guests who yearn to be reunited with their beloveds," she explains. It was a unique responsibility that came with her station.

Suddenly, the earth beneath you rumbles and shakes, echoing with the chaotic fury of an ancient power, Hebe's quick reflexes pull you closer, her azure eyes wide with concern. Her touch is like a warm, reassuring embrace, though the world around you spirals into turmoil.

Her deep azure eyes scanned the surroundings, her worry mirrors in her gaze. The very air crackles with tension as the servants and deities nearby cling to whatever they could, some voices rising in panicked shouts.

Even the mighty buildings, meticulously crafted by the skilled deities of marble and craft tremble and succumb to the relentless quake. Marble columns crumble like fragile sandcastles defying their reputation for indestructibility. There's a sense of impending doom that hangs heavy in the air. The earthquake persists, longer and more menacing than the last time it happened.

It's a chaos unlike anything that should have occurred within these divine realms, and the realization sent a shiver down your spine. You and others who care hope that it isn't as bad as it is down in the mortal realms.

Near the garden, the creatures of Olympus' stable are not spared from the chaos. Pegasi, their wings agitated, prance restlessly. Deers with antlers of divine beauty dash about, while sheep and other creatures, usually placid, are seized by a sudden frenzy. It's as if the very essence of chaos has been unleashed upon these sacred grounds.