47| You're Losing Me.

47 | You're Losing Me.

| Sage's POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"This, my friend, is a state of the art CD clock radio that enables you to wake up to the barnyard animal of your choice!" Mom smiled.

"That is great." Rory nodded.

"More like disturbing," I mumbled.

"I have selected the perky piggies. You might choose the cheery chickens of the goofy goats." Mom said.

"That's as close to a farm as I ever wanna get." Rory concluded. "Amen, sister friend." Mom agreed.

At the sound of a knock on the door, I got up, "I get it. Anything to get away form that thing. Reminds of a electrical chair. Just with noises instead of electricity." I said.

"What?" Mom and Rory asked. I shrugged, "it made more sense in my head."

I pulled open the door, seeing Jess.

"Hi," I smiled.

"Here." He tossed something.

I looked down at the CD in my hand. "The Shags? How am I not surprised?"

He tilted his head. "Trust me."

"Alright, whatever you say. You're oddly punctual." I said, letting him in. "It was either this or continue apartment hunting with Luke."

"Apartment hunting? Really? I can't imagine Luke moving. Like ever."

"He flipped out last night, and the next thing I know, he's dragging me all over town, banging on pipes and measuring square footage. It's crazy." Jess explained.

"I also can't ever imagine Luke with a tape measure." I laughed.

"Are you shorter?" He asked.

"What?"

"You look shorter than usual." He pointed out. "Than usual," I mocked, "you're not funny."

"Did you change your hair?"

"What? Again." I repeated.

"It looks different." He said.

"I—"

"Are you wearing makeup? I'm asking because I can see your freckles. I usually can't." He clasped his hands.

"Fascinating," I muttered.

"Very." He smiled. "So did you?"

"Did I what?" I blinked.

"Are you?"

I sighed, rubbing my forehead. "Huh?"

"Answer the question." He told me.

"Which question? You asked like fourteen—"

"Stop deflecting." He complained. "Now answer it." He paused. "Please."

I stared at him. "I'm confused."

"Clearly." He replied.

"Hey! Ducks!" I turned my head towards the living room, glaring at that stupid clock. "Don't ask," I groaned.

"Yes ma'am."

"Did you hear the ducks? Cause they are—great." Mom smiled, walking over to us, with Rory behind her. "Oh, Jess, you're here."

He glanced at me, giving me a smile.

"Terrific," mom mumbled.

I looked between the two of them, her eyes on him while his were on me.

"So," I looked at Jess, "would you like to come in?"

"Oh! Yeah, come on in. Sorry I was just so excited about the ducks—"

"And the pigs." Rory added.

"Do you want something to drink?" Mom asked, walking into the kitchen.

Jess looked at me, motioning for me to go first. I shook my head, telling him to. He did the same, grabbing my arm and putting me in front of him.

"Go," he whispered.

"You have good timing, cause we shopped yesterday, and in addition—" I tuned out moms monologue on her and Rory's grocery trip.

"So, Jess, what's new?" Mom asked after a few moments.

"Not much."

I looked at him, glaring. "Nicer." I mouthed, he rolled his eyes.

"Jess and Luke are looking for an apartment." I said when I was sure Jess wouldn't. "You guys see anything good yet?"

"Nope."

I nudged his shoulder, his eyes meeting mine.

"You know, there's some really cool places over on Peach. Or on Plum. Orange. Basically any of your fruit names streets are pretty nice." Mom rambled.

She turned around, walking a few steps away. Jess looked at me, the words save me plastered on his face.

"Okay, well, I guess you should get started. There's a ladder out front—"

"I'll show you," I interrupted, before any more talking could happen.

He nodded, thankful.

I let him walk outside, glancing at Rory before glaring at mom. "I'm trying," she teased with a singsong voice.

"Well keep it up," I responded, walking outside.

"You know," I said, walking over to him. "When I asked you to be nice, I was thinking maybe a bit more talking would be involved."

He sighed, "I'm not a very talkative person, Sage."

"You are when you're with me."

He looked down at me, "that's different. I like you."

"And I'm not saying you have to love my mom, I'm just saying that maybe a little more than two word responses would be appreciated. If you can spare them, I mean." I teased.

He nudged my shoulder, a small smile growing on his face.

"Why do you care so much?" He asked.

I shrugged, "I want her to like you. And I want you to at least tolerate her. I'm just asking you to try a little harder, okay? That's all."

"Okay." He said.

"Okay?" I questioned.

"I can't guarantee that it'll work, but I'll try."

I smiled, "thank you."

"You're welcome." He nodded, "princess."

I rolled my eyes, "idiot."

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺