30| Back To December.

30 | Back To December.

| 3rd POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"What's your favorite season?" Sage asked, angling her body to face Jess's.

His eyes were on her, the same place they'd been since they started. He shrugged, "don't have one."

She scoffed, "oh, come on! You have to have one. It's one of the most important questions you can ask someone to learn their personalitys."

"Oh yeah? How?"

"Well," she began, Jess prepared himself. "If you like summer, I'm guessing you love to be outside, or swimming. You probably absolutely despise winter. Very outgoing and extroverted. Really creative. Most likely a morning person, preferring day time over night. Very motivated. My sister loves summer." She explained.

"For spring, I'd say you're pretty quiet, preferring to be inside. You either love the rain or hate it. Very comfortable around other people. Kind, really kind. Get very excited over small things, vry appreciative."

"For fall, I'd say introverted, yet very talkative around people you know well. Dedicated, relaxed, love Halloween. Reading is a favorite hobby. Sweatshirts are probably your favorite clothing item. Scary movies are a must! You love nature, and warm colors."

"And for winter, I'd say it could go two ways. You're either very quiet, calm, and introverted. Or, you're like my mom, and we all know how she is." She smiled. "You love being cold, and drinking hot chocolate. You own more blankets than you need. And you probably need a little chaos from time to time."

"See what I mean?" She asked, smiling.

"What's your favorite?" Jess tilted his head. She answered without a thought, "fall. Definitely fall."

"Mine too." He said. She rolled her eyes, smiling.

She looked around at the town, the lights on absolutely everything, the snow piled everywhere. Her previous failed attempt at snowman making.

"It's so pretty," she mumbled.

"Yeah, it is." He said, staring at her.

She turned to him, a soft, comfortable look on her face. "Can I ask you something?" Jess heard the seriousness in her voice.

"Go for it." He nodded.

"If you don't wanna talk about it," she started, "just say that and I'll drop it. Pinky promise."

She looked at him for a moment, taking a deep breath. "Did your mom call?"

Jess felt a small corner of the walls he built around himself crack, as if being hit by a sledgehammer. Slowly, that was happening a lot. Anytime he was with the girl sitting next to him, he felt his barrier start to chip away. And that terrified him.

Usually, he'd make some joke, or tell someone to fuck off whenever they asked about his mom. But he couldn't do that, not with her.

"Luke said she did," he sighed, "but I know he was lying."

Sage felt her heart ache for the boy next to her. She might not have a good relationship with her dad, but at least she had her mom. Besides Luke, Jess didn't have anyone. And even then, Sage knew Jess had a hard time trusting people. It was obvious. She couldn't even blame him.

So, in that moment, Sage made it her goal to be someone for Jess.

Someone he could talk to, someone he could simply be around. She wanted to be a crutch for him to fall on, anytime he needed. After not having anything for so much of his life, Jess needed it. He needed her.

And she was going to be there for him.

Whether he wanted her to be or not, she wasn't going to leave him. Not the way so many other people had. It was gonna be messy, and complicated. But she was okay with that.

Jess saw something in her eyes in that moment. A decision. A decision that he knew would only hurt her even more in the long run. A decision that certainly wouldn't end well for either of them. A decision that he so badly wanted to stop her from making.

But he couldn't. They both knew that.

"I'm here," she whispered. That's all she needed to say. And all he needed to here.

Another hit on his walls. But this time, with a bulldozer.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺