Chapter Twenty-Four: The Hot Commando

The Triskelion, S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters; Steve walks into Fury's office where Raisa sits, both with a cup in hand with a plate of biscuits on the desk

Steve Rogers: You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?

Nick Fury: I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission than yours.

Steve Rogers: Which you didn't feel obliged to share.

Nick Fury: I'm not obliged to do anything.

Steve Rogers: Those hostages could've died, Nick.

Nick Fury: I sent the greatest soldier in history to make sure that didn't happen.

Raisa Novikov: Facts

Steve Rogers: Soldiers trust each other, that's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around and shooting guns.

Nick Fury: The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye. Look, I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything.

In the corner of Steve's eye he can see Raisa trying to stop giggling by covering her mouth, with Fury giving her a look.

Steve Rogers: I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their owns.

Nick Fury: It's called compartmentalization. Nobody spills the secrets because nobody knows them all.

Steve Rogers: Except you.

Raisa Novikov: Well he is the boss. So..?

The Avengers all looked at the girl "What? I'm only stating the obvious. Steve was questioning Fury about keeping secrets when he's literally the Boss of a top secret organisation." Raisa answered shrugging her shoulders.

Nick Fury: You're wrong about me. I do share. I'm nice like that.

Fury steps into an elevator with Steve following behind him

Nick Fury: Insight bay.

SHIELD Computer: Captain Rogers does not have clearance for Project Insight.

Nick Fury: Director override, Fury, Nicholas J.

SHIELD Computer: Confirmed.

the elevator starts moving down. Raisa smiled at that, she had clearance but Steve didn't.

Steve Rogers: You know, they used to play music.

Nick Fury: Yeah. My grandfather operated one of these things for forty years. My granddad worked in a nice building, he got good tips.

Nick looks up, Raisa looked out the window watching as the elevator went down

Nick Fury: He'd walk home every night, roll of ones stuffed in his lunch bag. He'd say "hi", people would say hi back. Time went on, neighbourhood got rougher. He'd say "Hi", they'd say, "Keep on steppin'. Granddad got to grippin' that lunch bag a little tighter.

Steve Rogers: Did he ever get mugged?

Nick Fury: Every week some punk would say, "What's in the bag?"

Raisa Novikov: That's so rude honestly. He worked for his money.

Both Steve and Nick looked at the young girl and smiled

"Never change kid, never change" Tony said with a slight laugh to his tone.

Steve Rogers: What did he do?

Nick Fury: He'd show 'em. Bunch of crumpled ones and loaded .22 Magnum.

Fury smiles

Nick Fury: Granddad loved people. But he didn't trust them very much.