Chapter Twenty Three : The

I awake to cooing like normally. I open my eyes and see Daddy and Mommy looking down at me.

"Good morning Princess," his hand brushes my cheek. I just close my eyes again wanting to sleep forever.

I did have a nightmare last night. My real mother being murdered over and over again in different ways. Her screaming constantly and me sobbing and not being able to do anything because I'm a baby.

Then again, she wouldn't be dead if I didn't run away from her.

Someone lifts me up, probably Daddy since Mommy is having back problems.

My eyes still stay closed and I feel the ache in my body and I immediately have a headache from hitting my head on the rocks last night.

I open my eyes just out of curiosity to see I'm handed to Mommy and she sits down in the rocking chair.

Daddy hands her a bottle. She puts it to my mouth and I open to allow it in.

Are they treating me like a baby again?

"We can't leave her alone Grant."

"Are we going to treat her like a baby again?"

"No, she's perfectly fine."

"But you're feeding her a bottle."

"Yeah? I thought she wouldn't mind," Mommy speaks. My eyes are closed again and I slowly suck on the bottle.

"Well I'll change her."

"Nonsense. You have work to do. I'll change her clothes and diaper."

I don't feel wetness in between my legs so I don't think I peed myself last night.

"Peyton. You sure?"

"Yes honey. I'll then set her in her playroom while I read."

"Okay." Daddy kisses my forehead and leaves the room completely. I finish the bottle and Mommy picks me back up. I then notice I'm back in my room not in theirs.

Mommy lays me down gently on the changing table and starts to take off my clothes.

She checks the diaper and looks puzzled. "You normally fill your diaper by morning. Hm. I'll just leave this one on and then we can just change your clothes."

She takes the footie off completely and puts white knee high socks on and a pink dress on me. She lifts me back up and then carries me out of my room and puts me in my toy room.

She sets me down on my mat and I don't feel like playing with anything. So I sit there. Just sit there.

Mommy goes up to the TV and pushes a button then sits in the rocking chair and reads. The black rectangle shows a news channel.

There's a picture of my old mom on the screen along with a boat pulling a body out of the water.

"Today locals have found a dead body in the Anacostia River. The woman found is Karen Downs, a 36 year old who had worked for the White House. Her daughter Spencer Downs has been missing for over six months and has been pronounced dead. Is this a conspiracy? White House official Ben Thwarp is holding a press conference on the situation."

Suddenly the screen switches to the Ben guy on a podium talking.

"Where's the damn remote?!" I hear Mommy cuss.

"No the White House did not have anything to do with the death of Karen Downs. We are mourning just as much as her fiancé is. She was an amazing person and she will be missed. Yes, DC Today?"