Chapter 9

Dani's POV

"How was the match?"

"Ok", I say, putting the United scarf down on the table.

"Did you see Rúben? Well, silly question. Of course you saw him but did he see you?", laughs Libby.

"Don't think so".

But that's a lie. He did see me and he ignored me. Thankfully Sam didn't see that little interaction but I can't stop thinking about it. Not that I expected him to come to talk to me in front of however many thousands of fans were there but he looked mad. Was it because of the match? I don't know but he's never looked at me that way and I didn't enjoy it.

My feelings towards Rúben are so conflicting. I've pushed him away so many times and he refuses to leave. And now I don't want him to leave, I feel he might.

"Should we watch a movie?"

I look at Libby and she is holding a plate with her dinner on it. "Don't you have another shift at work today?"

"No, I'm off. So I thought we could have a girl's night".

"Sure. Let me change into something a bit more comfortable".

While I go back to my room I can't help but think about Libby and the lack of men she's seen lately. But she often tells me about her texting Rúben. Is she not meeting anyone else because she likes him? And what would that even mean for me? For all of us.

I need to stop thinking about this.

"How did Rúben play?"

"I don't know. I don't understand football".

"Huh...he's not answering my texts", says Libby, putting her phone away.

"You're texting a lot lately".

"Dani, we're friends, don't start again".

"I wasn't going to".

But I want to. I want to ask what's going on. But I'm too afraid of hearing the truth. Because of course Rúben will choose Libby over me. Who wouldn't?

**

The days pass and I don't hear from Rúben at all. Not even to ask about my assignment. Ever since he helped me, he's been texting me about it. Asking if I found a hidden clause that meant his lawyer would take all of his money.

"He probably wouldn't leave it there for me to see", I joked.

"You never know...".

But now, there are no jokes, no questions, no...nothing. And I fucking hate it. What changed?

"Dani!"

"What?"

"Come here!"

I see Libby is wearing her work clothes but she isn't supposed to work today.

"I have to go cover for a coworker and didn't have time to go to the shop. Do you mind?", she asks, placing a shopping list in front of me. "I don't feel great so you'd be doing me a great favour".

"Sure. I'll go in a bit".

"Thank you, sweetheart", she kisses my cheek and starts to play with my hair. "You look so pretty with your hair up".

"I like it like this. You know I only wear it in a ponytail when it's gross and I use dry shampoo to gift me an extra day of not washing it".

"Give me that hair tie".

Instead of waiting, she takes the hair tie from my wrist and moves so she's behind me. She takes my hair in her hands and starts to gather all of it to put in a bun. Libby often wears messy buns and looks absolutely stunning but...she's Libby. She always looks stunning.