10

Miranda was back at work. She took some time to get through her miscarriage. The pain was like menstrual cramps but up a notch. All she wanted to do was lay down and sleep the day away.

Calvin was concerned but she couldn't tell that man that she was pregnant and then have to tell him that it wasn't his baby nor could she have him thinking that it was his. So she had to carry this burden alone. Tuck gave her Ben's number and she often thought about calling it but she didn't want to cause him any pain either.

"Chief it was a delivery for you but I told them that I would take it up."

"Ohhh they are beautiful," Miranda gushed taking the huge bouquet of white roses with an assortment of other flowers.

"Thank you," she told Jo as she sat them down and also grabbed the box out of her hand.

Jo left and Miranda examined the flowers and grabbed the card attached. "The pink flowers are scorpion grasses often called forget me not flowers. Of course, you know baby's breath and white roses"- Ben.

Miranda smiled and set the card aside. She opened the box and the inside of the top read. "You are loved, when we lose one blessing. Another is often most unexpectedly in its place." There was a hand-woven heart pillow, candles, socks, tea, bath bombs, bath salts, and a mug. There was a square box inside and Miranda quickly opened it up. She felt tears prick her eyes at the necklace. The cardstock it was sitting on read, "The Love Knot Necklace represents an unbreakable bond between two souls" There was a diamond in the center and silver wraps surrounding it.

Miranda finally got to the card with Ben's handwriting on the front. She opened it and read slowly, "I've been thinking about this for some time now and I know you can't really share this situation with anyone but me, so I thought I would send you something that hopefully will comfort you. We are parents of an angel. It's comforting to know that when they first opened their eyes it was in the face of Jesus. I hope you find it consolable that what our love created was entirely too precious for earth and I wholeheartedly believe that to be one thousand percent true. A good woman like you and a good man that I deem myself to be, it seemed like our child would have always been too good for earth. Nevertheless, I wish you peace and comfort. You are strong Miranda, sincerely Ben.

Miranda read the card a second time and placed it against her heart as her tears finally fell. She cried as her grief rose. It was comforting to receive this message because it was his loss too and he understood her.

She made up her mind that she would send him something comforting as well and she took the necklace out of the box and placed it around her neck.

Two weeks later, Ben was sitting on the couch at home and he thought about how lonely it was when Tuck wasn't there with him. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't stop thinking about Miranda. The miscarriage haunted him because now that the thought was there. He would have loved to have a baby with her...ecstatic.

So much was different in his life and now he was ready to be a full-time parent. He loved Tuck unconditionally but he never had the joy of parenthood from raising him as a baby all the way up. Of course, he was happy and proud of all of Tuck's milestones when he was growing up and then he missed out on so much.

He wanted a baby that was his and he wouldn't miss anything. He wanted to be there for them every step of the way.

Picking up his phone he called Owen.

"Hey Warren, how you doing?" he answered.

"I've been... well, a lot's happened. Listen, I wanted to talk to you about something important."

"Of course, Ben. What's on your mind?"

Ben hesitated for a moment before finally saying, "I've been thinking about adopting a baby."