3

Calvin took a seat and the bar and he looked over the woman next to him. She had medium-length brown hair and they were in loose spiral curls. He studied her features and she honestly took his breath away.

"Excuse me if I'm too forward and I know it's unsolicited but you are so beautiful." He spoke genuinely.

Miranda looked around before realizing he was talking to her.

She blushed before saying "Thank you,"

"Hi, I'm Doctor Calvin Mayes,"

"I'm a Doctor too, What kind of Doctor are you Calvin?"

"I'm a thoracic surgeon. I was just hired at Grey Sloan Memorial as the chief thoracic surgeon" Miranda nodded. So this was the man she spoke to over the phone. She didn't have time to do a traditional interview so she conducted a phone interview. His resume was great and he was well accomplished.

"Ohh Chief Bailey's over there." She spoke.

"Yeah, I heard a little bit about her, I'm excited to be working under her."

What did you hear about her?

That she is a genius, she's a trailblazer, a badass. The first female chief of that hospital. She's like the only person who was running a hospital as a resident. She just about cured fistulas and was the first person to successfully pull off a 12-person domino surgery."

Miranda smiled and nodded.
"Now why did you get hired over there if they already have a cardiac surgeon? That's like the same thing."

"Well not exactly, a cardiac surgeon specializes in surgery on your heart and the major blood vessels that carry blood to and from your heart. A thoracic surgeon operates on anything in your chest: your heart, lungs, esophagus, and trachea. We get grouped a lot but mostly cardio just focused on one organ. I believe I would be a good fit because I'm a jack of all trades in that field. I can help with certain parts of general and cardiac. Which is why I'm excited. I would love to pick Chief Bailey's brain about the lungs, esophagus, and digestive tract, and the head of cardio, I could learn more there as well."

"Wow, that's interesting. You sound very humble compared to a lot of surgeons I met."

"Humility means everything. We often get put in the position where we can play God. See I appreciate the limits of my abilities, and understand the importance. I feel like humility distinguishes between knowing what illness the patient has and what it means, and understanding how it feels to have it."

"That's an argument I hear a lot. Do you really believe that surgeons play God?"

"Do we play at God when we try everything to prevent death? We can perform surgeries, give medications, perform CPR, and use machines to keep a person alive, but no matter what we do — even if it is the right move — the patient will still die. We could do everything and still fail. The truth is that some people are not meant to live to 20, 70, or even 2 years old. Perhaps, God wills it, yet we fight so hard to keep a body going while the soul longs for release. If you believe as I do, there are times when we may be torturing a person by keeping them alive...you are a physician. Have you ever tried your hardness to keep a person from dying and we assume they want to live...but what about God?" He asked waiting for her answer.

Miranda closed her eyes.

5 years ago

"Miranda I think we should consider pulling the plug," Rosalind said staring at Ben.

"No-

"It's been 3 years Miranda."

"Ben wants extraordinary measures. We had a specific conversation about it. We argued almost a whole year about it. He told me that he wanted to live, to try, he said that he was going to be a miracle man and wake up and come back to me."