Chapter 7

There are two things one must know about Nicholas Reid.

One being to never try his chocolate biscuit pudding and if he isn't talking 1089056 words per second, something is very, very wrong.

I eye him suspiciously across the table. He is spooning his food absentmindedly and not shoveling it down his throat and choking half to death like usual. His head is ducked, and his free hand is absently drawing circles on the table.

I chew slowly in case he decides to speak and I have to respond. I wonder if it's something to do with his latest infatuation: this new kid who looks like she is either disgusted or terrified by everything she sees. Including Nick, especially Nick.

And then I can't watch it any longer.

I kick his leg.

His head springs up and startled eyes look at me because,

"Ow," he sounds pointedly and reaches down to rub his calf

"What's wrong?" I ask looking at him

"Is that how you initiate conversation with everyone?" Nick hisses

"I usually don't," I shrug

He smiles sarcastically and I'm almost guilty when a pang of pride hits me because that he learned from me.

"Nothing's wrong," he replies finally and then at the look on my face continues, "The opposite, actually. Everything's still the same,"

Oh.

Oh.

"Why didn't you tell me anything?" I mutter

"What made you think anything was up?"

"You're acting normal," I make a face at him

"Gee, thanks," he laughs and it sounds empty. A mere echo of what it usually sounds like. I look up at him and place my chin on my palm.

"You can stay over until she leaves."

"Don't," he warns me as if my offer will tempt him and then shakes his head, "It's already crowded there."

"The girls adore you," I protest and wrap my hand around his thumb. I tug at it and he looks up at me, "Please? I'll even call them now and ask,"

"You know you don't have to worry about it, right?"

I wave my fork at him, "It's my one job,"

He laughs and looks at me with that face that makes him much older than he is. There is something to his eyes that don't overshadow the light often but every now and then, it shows and it's so, so sad to watch. Because it is all I can do. Watch.

It breaks when he blinks. The moment is gone as unexpectedly as it had come and he is laughing again, smiling and Nicholas Reid.

"Stop it. I can hear you worrying," He taps my forehead and shoves a fry down my mouth

"Asshole," I choke out because it's too salty, "You know, I don't kick ass for just anybody right?"

"I know," he says and pinches my cheeks, "My hero,"

And this time I smile with him.