Chapter 83

"So Diana called me the other day." I turn to Aiden as he walks into the living room

"My condolences."

I roll my eyes. "She was talking about moving back."

Aiden raises his eyes from his phone which he was just setting on the counter. "What?"

"I mean, it's been almost two months now." I shrug. "I can't stay here forever."

"Why not?" he asks, genuinely curious

"Aiden." I make a face. "You need your house back."

"No, I don't." he says confusedly

"It's fine. Apparently Kathy got Prince to add some fancy locks so it's not like someone's going to break in and drag me out from my bed."

"I might." He says resolutely and I hold back my amusement at his tenacity.

"Lyra, it was my sister who did this. I—"

"Not you," I cut in. "She did it once and she might try again but if I live like this, in fear, she wins." He doesn't look at me. "All the times Missy kicked my ass would be for nothing."

He is still quiet and then comes and sits next to me on the couch. "No one, other than me, has lived here as long as you have."

"I'll miss—" he looks at me almost earnestly. I'll miss your coffee, I'll miss your cooking, I'll miss fighting with you, I'll miss you breaking my heart. I almost let out a sigh. "I'll miss Loki. And the bathtub."

He laughs. "You should probably take the rest of the coffee with you. No one is going to drink it here."

I shrug and nod my thanks, and then more carefully. "I'll take some of the tea bags too."

Aiden positively beams.

--------------------

Esmeralda visits me just in time to see Lyra leave.

They are quite taken with each other and Esmeralda takes personal offense that she was not invited sooner to spend more time with Lyra. And then, most oddly, she shakes her head and winks dopily at me saying she understands why I did not want her there.

"You'll come to see me here, no?" Esmeralda asks as I push the last of Lyra's books bags into my car

Lyra tries to hide how pleasantly surprised she is that Esmeralda is looking forward to seeing her again. I swallow a smile.

"I'll cook my fideuà if you come." She bribes aggressively. Lyra looks over Esmeralda at me and I nod approvingly bringing my index finger and thumb together to show how seriously amazing her fideuà means. Even before it could get Lyra Donovan to come visit me.

"No one I live with can cook properly so I might have no choice." Lyra says begrudgingly and Esmeralda violently hugs her by the waist and this time I cannot contain a snicker at the look of absolute shock on Lyra's face

I'll miss you, I think almost absently when Lyra detaches herself and gets into the car.