chapter thirty-two | reset

!!! super trigger warning on this chap 

"Mash, get behind me!" I yelled, automatically raising the hunting rifle just above my shoulder, aiming at Chad with my finger already on the trigger.

Masha crawled toward me like her life depended on it, clumsily raising her own hunting rifle and pointing it at Chad. I could see it in her face that she was confused as hell, but she still chose my side, no questions asked.

With both our rifles at pointed at him, Chad looked at us one by one. And for the first time, I couldn't read the expression on his face.

We grew up with Chad. We were born in the same hospital, attended the same school, played on the same grass, and grew up in the same island. Just like the others, I thought I had him figured out—every grin and crazy whim. But I was wrong. Dead wrong. 

"One wrong move and one of us will end you." I meant every word.

"Jordan, magkaibigan tayo . . . wala akong gagawing masama sa inyo," Chad said with a soft yet serious tone, eyes remained on mine. He then raised both of his eyebrows, emphasizing how he was slowly lowering his gun.

Gustong-gusto kong paniwalaan siya pero kailangan kong manigurado lalo't buhay namin ni Masha ang nakataya.

"Gun on the floor, Chad." My grip on the rifle grew tighter. I couldn't even dare to blink.

"Okay." Chad nodded, taking a deep breath as he gently laid the gun on the floor.

"Stand up! Stand up straight! Taas mo na rin kamay mo, Chad!" Masha yelled, trying hard to look menacing even if her voice was clearly cracking. She then looked at me again, and this time I could feel her screaming questions with only her eyes.

I focused all of my attention to Chad and the rifle on my hands.

Tears were filling up my eyes for reasons I don't even know. It felt as if my heart was already up my throat. I took a deep breath and held the rifle closer.

"Alam ko na ang lahat, Chad!" Inalabas ko ang galit sa bawat salita. 

I don't know shit. I'm confused as hell. Part of me wants to believe that he's the good friend that we grew up with, but part of me is already doubting everything I know about him. Might as well throw a bait and try my luck.

"Paano mo nagawa sa amin 'to?!" dagdag ko pa.

Chad froze where he stood. His lips parted and trembled as if words couldn't come out from his mouth. I then noticed how his eyes began to turn red and watery.

Seeing him look so vulnerable made my heart hurt. Gone was the flirty, happy-go-lucky guy who always had a grin up his face.

"Akala ko ba magkaibigan tayo?" My voice came out soft and broken. "Chad . . . bakit mo nagawa sa amin 'to? Anong kasalanan namin sa 'yo?"