chapter twenty-seven | protect your pack

Jordan

Jordan

I don't like crowded places, but I can normally tolerate it without a problem. But the moment we stepped inside Chad's mansion and saw the living room filled with people partying like there was no tomorrow? My head began to spin and I just wanted to throw up. In my mind, I could see one of them, suddenly turning on the person next to them . . . killing them . . . and then us.

"Jordan?" I felt someone grab ahold of my arm. 

Parang nakawala ako sa kung anong usok na sumakop sa isip ko at namalayan ko na lamang na nakaalalay na sa magkabilang gilid ko sina Lincoln at Masha. Nasa harapan ko naman si Arnold na panay tanong kung okay lang ba ako habang itinataas ang mga daliri niya, inuutusan akong magbilang.

"Althea! Nasaan si Althea?! Althea!"

"Walang matutulog sa inyo, naiintindihan n'yo ba?! Nagiging bayolente ang lahat dahil sa virus na 'to!"

"Maniwala kayo kay Bogart! Nagsasabi siya ng totoo! May virus talaga!"

Nilibot ko ang paningin at napasinghap ako sa sobrang gulo at ingay ng paligid. Smoeki was running around the wide neon-lit area, looking for his sister while grabbing any long haired girl who remotely resembles her figure. And then there was Bogart who was screaming his head off, trying to warn everyone but they were too busy and drunk partying to give a damn. And then there was Langaw, trying to get everyone to listen to his boss. The three of them, no matter how much they yelled and screamed, no one bothered to listen. Instead of attention, all they got were curses and annoyed stare.

"Hindi mo naiintindihan! All it takes is just one person! Isang taong infected lang ang kailangang makatulog para maging literal na impyerno ang mansion mo!" And then there was Gil, desperately yelling and convincing Chad about the situation.

All of a sudden, memories of Kuya Vito flooded my mind. The way he selflessly stayed to serve and protect. The way he cared for us like we were his own flesh and blood. The way those bastards desecrated his remains.

None of the people I care for will die on my watch again . . . 

Pilit akong kumawala mula sa pagkakahawak nina Lincoln at Masha sa akin. Dire-diretso akong naglakad patungo kay Chad at ako na mismo ang humarap sa kanya, hindi alintana ang nakakabinging musika at nakakabulag na mga ilaw sa paligid.

"Yow, who the heck beat you up?" Chad let out a slow, amused laughter as soon as we saw each other's face up close.

Chad's defined chinito face was drowning in the neon lights. His eyes were half-hooded and the way he talked and moved were too sluggish. And I could just tell by the never-disappearing grin on his face how intoxicated he was—maybe even high.

"Chad, you listen to me, okay?" Mariin kong hinawakan ang kanyang balikat at tinitigan siya sa mga mata. "I need a space for just the 8 of us! Meron ka ba no'n dito? We need a place to rest, away from all these people! Do you have that?!"