12

I don't know why I expected her to ignore me when I first asked her to follow me.

Catalina Black sits across from me on the other side of my Macassar Ebony  desk in my home office.

In front of her sits a tray of chamomile tea, biscuits, pastries and a random array of nuts.

       Warm light from the fireplace illuminates the side of her face in a golden glow. Her worn hoodie with a silly line that reads

'What happens to an illegally parked frog-- it gets toad away'

looks out of place in my office.

      Her leg jumps up and down as she leans back in her leather seat, I watch those blue-green eyes bounce around the room in curiosity. She looks exactly like her mother. And her hair is the same exact shade as her fathers.

My hands want to reach out and pull her into my arms and keep her there forever. Even though I know damn well that she isn't the person she used to be when she lived with us years ago, I still want to hold her.

My sorellina

I repress those thoughts, because the logical person in my head tells me that there's a high chance that she was personally trained by Black. That itself could be a big problem. Alan Black didn't do anything for no reason. So training Cat must've been to get her ready for something.

What is that something?

I have a couple of guesses.

       The more suspicious piece of evidence is that when background checking her, our tech came up with nearly nothing. Evidence of primary school barely scratches the surface. School records are nonexistent by the time she reaches the age of 9. Its like she disappeared into thin air.

I exhale through my nose and her eyes snap to me.

"So Catalina, I would like to ask you a few questions" I stretch my legs under the desk,

"About what?" her big eyes stare up at me with innocence I would be fooled by if I was a different man.

      I pull up the picture I had in the drawer and give it to her,

"This"

        The photo I give her, was taken 3 years ago on a Sunday afternoon near the underground industrial area. The picture shows the huge building previously owned by Alan Black. His figure is standing next to the main entrance of the ugly grey structure, the side of his face is the only indicator of who he actually is. Near the camera is the top of a head. The rest of the persons head is cut out of the picture, but. Their hair is the same exact shade as the person sitting in front of me.

Cat swallows before regaining her composure,

"What do you want to know?"

         I watch her reaction to what I say next,

"Were you there at the scene?"

She stiffens ever so slightly, and her eyes lock on mine, "No"

        Again, if I was a different man I would've believed her, but she was raised and trained by Black. The question that I asked was unnecessary— I already knew that she was at the scene because the string of photos that followed the one she's holding in her hand accidentally shows her small face contorted in pain in the background.

I clench and unclench my fist. Getting information from her won't be easy.

...................................................................

          After nearly an hour of mind games I give up. She doesn't give me straight answers to any of the questions I ask. She's even better than Lorenzo at jumping from topic to topic when he's high on sugar.

It was fine. I didn't really expect a lot of information. But I expected some information.

It makes sense why she wouldn't tell me anything. She doesn't trust me, or any of us.

          I ignore the stab of pain I feel at that even if it makes sense. Determination fuels her features as she looks at me expecting another attack of questions.

"You're free to go" I tell her. Surprise and relief flit across her face before it returns to its expressionless norm.

      She nods at that and gets up to leave.

I watch her retreating back leave through the door, her soft footsteps echoing in the empty house.

My gaze returns to the untouched tray of tea and I reach over and pour myself a cup.

       I get it. I really do— why the boys, especially Luca, feel resentment towards her.

She lived as the only foster daughter of one of the richest underground men. She got to be trained by some of the most famous high profile assassins. While us— on the other hand had to deal with Dad. Or 'Father' as he liked to call himself.

       When she was first taken, he made it his life mission to get her back. He sent teams after teams to search for her. Slowly, he began to realize that he probably wasn't going to get her back.

And that drove him mad. He began to rage. He went into killing sprees monthly, firing loyal staff every other day. He made deals with mafias that he had sworn to destroy years ago. Every broken word of his favorite sentence became a joke , "Prima la famiglia"

      The quote that once gave the family power and unity was now what pulled them apart. All the morals and ethics our family went by did not matter any more. Drinking became his favorite pass time.

The alcohol made him bitter, we all knew the one rule. Don't get in his way when he's drinking. You'll end up dead.

        The person we had all looked up to was nothing like we thought he was. A weak, weak man. That's all he was. So when Black offered to give her back, I couldn't take her. At that point Father was dead and so was his legacy, I knew she was was safer with Black than she would ever be with us. There's no guarantee that I won't become an abbreviated version of him. I couldn't take the chance. Black was the safer option.

But now he's dead as well.

        So I have to do everything in my power to keep her safe.

Fanculo

The cup was overflowing with tea, I let out a hiss when my fingers brush the hot liquid.

   "Kelleher!"

A/N:

ahhh.

GIOs pov

What did yall think???

man. i haven't written a dude pov in AGES.

Tell me what u think and lets get into todays crime talk

TW: gruesome torture, sexual assault, child abuse, murder, assault etc. etc.

Careful guys this is a rlly heavy case because reading/listening to it is traumatizing even though there wasn't as much murder.

Roch terrio the canadian cult leaderrrr (I probably spelt his name wrong). AKA as the surgeon. The case is I think called 'the anthill kids" cause the guy had like 7 wives and 26 children:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0u8D4HuswGQzx30PVbwiUg?si=9fe682b8dec54253

Anyways thats it fo today

VOTE+COMMENT

farewell, until next time.