#17 - Fireworks

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

fireworks. new year's eve had always been a challenging time for y/n. this particular year seemed no different, with her parents jetting off to tokyo to usher in the new year with their colleagues, leaving y/n feeling abandoned once again.

nevertheless, she had grown used to this annual ritual of loneliness and had learned to cope. originally, she had contemplated reaching out to her friend mayuko, hoping to spend the evening together.

however, y/n hesitated, fearing that her friend might already be engaged with her own family's new year's celebration.

consequently, the girl resigned herself to spending the evening alone, as she had done on christmas when her parents had been physically present but too busy with work to truly celebrate with her.

sighing, she found herself alone at the dining table after finishing dinner. she had no plans for a countdown; for her, it was just another ordinary day. deep down, she yearned for someone to share the celebration with, even though she knew it was an unlikely wish.

her thoughts began to drift towards kunimi, wondering how he was faring as the new year approached. she silently hoped that he was finding happiness in the promise of the upcoming year.

with just a few hours remaining until the stroke of midnight, y/n decided to settle onto the couch and pass the time watching television.

then, a sudden knock at the door startled her. confused by the idea of a visitor at 10 pm on new year's eve, she rushed to answer it, knowing that her parents were due to return the following day.

to her astonishment, when she flung open the door, she was met by the familiar faces of her friends – mayuko, kindaichi, and kunimi. they were all bundled up in winter coats and scarves, each wearing a warm smile.

the girl couldn't contain her gasp, "happy new year's eve, y/n-chi!" mayuko, the first to greet her, enveloped her in a tight hug, and she felt herself melting into their warm embrace.

her friends had come to visit her, ensuring that she wouldn't be alone during this special night. "what brings you guys here?" she inquired, her curiosity piqued.

kindaichi responded with a grin, "we're here to pick you up!" she tilted her head, puzzled, and asked, "where are we headed?"

"to my apartment building to watch the fireworks from the rooftop!" mayuko exclaimed with excitement. y/n's face brightened with a smile as she agreed, "alright, let me change first." she headed to her room, leaving the trio to enter her house and await her arrival.