Chapter 1

Alaska came onto its own the first five years after the nukes fell. Being untouched by the weapons, it quickly developed into an industrial powerhouse as companies moved their infrastructure to the once Northern outpost that was once the 49th state of the USA.

The 800,000 inhabitants grew in number fourfold due to the tide of war refugees, and with a lot more mouths to feed, the new fledgling nation became a naval power of the Northern Pacific with the 1,800 ton Aegis equipped Horizon class Corvettes being the backbone of the ARN. This being mainly built in Ketchikan and Seward.

The villages soon became towns as the Alaskan railroad expanded in size to provide state wide service.

Most of the High tech air assets such as F-22 and F16 fighters quickly came to be out of service due to lack of spare parts, but these were quickly phased out by the ARAF's new GTU-1 ground attack planes. Heavy lift biplanes with a 50 foot wingspan and a payload capacity far in excess of the now derelict Jets. A stopgap for when the Black Angel interceptors enter production.

Very important since most nations now used bombers.

And now in the present day, a GTU-1 droned along patrolling the oilfields looking for any sign of locals attempting to drill for oil illegally to heat their homes. The aircraft had an enclosed cabin with a pilot and a Electronic Intelligence officer sitting in tandem.

The EIO looking at screens for the tall tale white spec on the IR display. Most of what he seen were wildlife. The two men drank coffee and focusing on their respective duties to kill boredom. Completing their rounds, the two started the return to base. It was then that they saw something, a structure.

The plane had a very long range, and large Payload capacity. It could carry up the Eight ASMs, and flew at speeds so low, most jets couldn't combat it. Especially given the GTU-1 could literally flip around midair and engage any fighter jet, it also could strike beyond visual range. All in all, it was a very deadly platform.

The biplane Circled the structure. It was constantly night this time of year in December, and the structure was an archway. Surrounding the structure was a field of bodies dressed of Roman armor littering the area in a failed attempt to set up a camp. Some were even frozen solid standing up.

Among the dead were creatures that looked liked they were straight from the Hobbit or Lord of the rings. Apparently, none of them had been prepared for the arctic conditions and were overtaken by the cold.

It was at this moment, the pilots radioed to base telling of the situation and sending video feed of what they were seeing. 45 minutes later, more aircraft arrived at landed as medical teams searched the bodies for survivors.

It was a depressing situation as they saw nothing but dead. Alaskan soldiers soon found a man barely alive dressed like a Roman centurion who was unconscious, but still moving. "Sir! We have a live one."