Bonus Chapter Seven: Fern the Novelist

FERN'S POV

"Hey, Wired-Brain," I tapped the side of the datapad in considerable thought. "do you recall the young man's name on Iego? You know, the one from the saloon who helped us."

Tech cocked his head to the side; his index finger tucked under his chin in thought. "Jaybo, I believe."

"Correct!" I snickered.

A flash of puzzlement struck his face. "You were validating your own knowledge?"

"Oh, of course, not." I averted my eyes.

"Then, you must take pleasure in examining my exceptional photographic memory?"

"Of course, not."

"Fern."

"Okay!" I threw my hands up, nearly flinging the electronic device across the stone courtyard. "I'm at a stalemate. The adventure on Iego was...kind of overwhelming."

"That," Tech paused, his head pulling back. "is not the word I would use."

"What word would you use, then?"

"Revelatory." he said without hesitation.

I smiled, only because I finally understood he was including his own personal experience.

I hardly reminisced over Tech's unrequited confession on Ipsidon; it was difficult to recall when our naturally witty dynamic had been unscathed by the shocking ordeal. The intellectual clone was a man of his word, for since Ipsidon, he hadn't so much as dipped a toe into the ocean that was my and Hunter's relationship. Furthermore, with each day that goes by on Pabu, I've noticed Tech's heart opening up to new social circumstances. He communed with the locals, and had frequent one-on-one discourse with Phee. The conversations those two had would fabricate its own interesting chronicle...

Occasionally, I found myself pondering if Tech documented them in his—ahem—'diary'. I suppose I would eventually find out considering I utilized his technical entries as evidential sources to refer to as I wrote.

I was very proud of Tech—not because he was learning how to move on from his affection for me, but for his perserverance to embrace new possibilities apart from what he has always known.

I wanted to make sure to emphasize that growth in my memoir.

I wanted to describe every detail of our lives. To just let our story flow through my fingers. I relished the feeling of exploring our past and recording the truths we only wished we could speak out loud. I thrived when the natural oceanic melody sang around me and whatever worries I possessed dissipated; it was like escaping to my own fantasy. It was quiet. It was productive. It was peaceful.

And yet, I am always excited to return to reality, for that's where the story continues...

"Should I interview Echo on his panic attack while we were trapped underground?" I suggested, open to additional entries to carry on the adventure.

"Considering that is how you have chosen to phrase your query," Tech sighed, adjusting his spectacles. "I would advise, no."

Yep, classic Tech. My cheeks expanded as I held my breath, resisting the urge to laugh. He noticed and questioned me with a raise of his brow.

"Do I want to know?"

"I appreciate you providing excellent comedic material to incorporate into my memoir." I scrunched my nose with a smirk. As Tech scoffed through his nose, I leaned back into the grand tree that flourish in the center of the courtyard. My friend, dressed in his casual wear, sat to the right of me, one leg propped up with the other extended. With his forearm resting on his bent knee and his opposite hand laying in his lap, he looked genuinely content.

I curled a strand of my raven hair, which I have elected to wear loose since the week we arrived on Pabu. My voluminous locks cascaded over my shoulders with a shimmering glow to them, like the white of cresting waves on the ocean. The sun ray's peeking through the thick branches above us warmed parts of me, while the cool shade, paired with the natural sea breeze, made me feel at home.

Home...

Safe. Steady. A place to recharge and reset after a fulfilling day's work.

Where all attempts to escape cease.

Well, I've surely (purposely) forgotten the galaxy is on the verge of—

"I have a query for you, Fern." Tech interrupted my tranquil thoughts. "Where do you plan on concluding your memoir?"

My smile wavered in deep thought. I had not thought about it—I guess I should have realized I couldn't write about Clone Force 99 until the end of time. How do other novelists end their stories? With a triumphant resolution that proceeds a daunting climax? I could hardly inscribe our pure luck that Phee brought us to Pabu as an exciting capstone of the ages. The falling action being all of us settling into a simple, yet productive routine.

Riveting, I say.

But what would be our resolution?

What is a fitting ending to Clone Force 99?

In some ways, we were beginning a new story. We were in the midst of starting a new life and living it to fulfill a new purpose...

I could see us in our tomorrow, as we remain on Pabu, throwing away our past and building a future...that will be something that will last...

"I will decide..." I sighed with optimism, inclining my head against the smooth bark and squinting my eyes as the sun's rays flashed in them. Tilting my chin, my vision was shielded by the lightly rustling leaves. Inhaling deeply, the salty breeze cleansed my senses.

"when we have started anew and have made our amends. I will make—inhale—quite certain that our story ends,"

I turned to Tech, who had rotated his whole upper body to me, lending me his undivided attention. His handsome, light-brown eyes, full of thoughts, melted with hopefulness. I grinned as my own dark orbs softened with every ounce of genuine sincerity I could muster. I gripped the datapad in both hands close to my chest with eagerness to reach this goal swelling inside my heart.

"on a note of hope and a strong ambition.

"And then, I will thank the galaxy and remember when...

"we were able to begin again..."