C H A P T E R N I N E

FERN'S POV

Wrecker was right there at the entrance, waiting to catch a slumped-over Tech slipping from my struggling arms. I did not realize Tech had passed out the moment the ramp was sealed shut...instead, just as I was about to double over from exhaustion, Hunter apparated out of nowhere and swallowed me in his arms, one of his hands held the back of my head. A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I melted, my chin digging into the space between his neck and shoulder. (Echo must've relieved him from piloting the Marauder off Serreno.)

"Are you okay?" he breathed in my ear, then pulled me to hold my face in both hands, our noses just centimeters apart as my neck arched to gaze into his dark eyes. The tips of his bangs grazed the skin just above my brows. I hummed a yes, briefly closing my eyes to absorb his embrace again. But alas, our moment wasn't to last...

"Fern, it's Tech." The big guy called me after carrying Tech to the single medical cot. "He's unconscious." Hunter released me and steadied me, for he sensed my mind was racing about the injured clone and understood without a word that I felt responsible...If Tech had waited until the moment he knew we were all safe to give in to the pain, than it was much worse than I anticipated. "Could you get Echo to bring me the medical supplies?" I asked Hunter and rushed over to Tech.

After removing his helmet, I called for Omega to bring me some cloths and cold water, for he was drenched in sweat. That was when I noticed his leg, and a lump formed in my throat. It had swelled double in size, bulging through his demin pants. I removed his holster and shinguards to relieve some of the pressure just as Echo knelt down next to me with the supplies. We ejected stabilizers in his neck and thigh to numb the pain. I used gentle pressure points along his leg to examine the full extent of internal damage, momentarily causing Tech to groan or suck air through his teeth. The muscles were undoubtedly damaged. How damaged...was the real question...

"Is Tech's datapad equipped with x-ray scanning?" I asked softly to Echo, who was pressing a cold, wet rag to Tech's forehead. Echo shrugged. "If it isn't, it would be the only system that thing doesn't have."

"I'll get it." Omega nodded, and returned in a flash with the device. I thanked her and typed in the search bar for any medical scanning systems and behold, there it was. Echo's right, does this thing carry a galaxy's worth of convienence? "Stand back." I said, and hovered the device over Tech's leg. It beeped once when it finished scanning, and my eyes widened at the calculated results. "I knew it..." I murmured, biting my lip. "I knew he was lying..." I handed the datapad over to Echo, who had the same reaction.

"What? What is it?" Omega questioned, worried.

"Not only is the bone is splintered, but the muscles in his leg are completely mangled due to the constant exertion since it was crushed...He really pushed himself just before we pulled you both from the cliff face. He passed out then, too." I bit my lip as the pit in my stomach grew heavier, so much so I felt like vomiting.

"So what do we do?" The young girl whimpered.

"Stabilizers are going to do nothing for the muscle damage." Echo muttered grimly. "Even when we get back to Ord Mantell, where are we going to find the proper medical supplies to heal him?"

"We can ask Cid." Omega suggested, hopefully.

"Cid won't even pay us fairly even when we deliver. What makes you think she'll just offer a donation to buy expensive medicene and equipment?"

Omega fell silent, a deep frown melted on her face. I exchanged glances to both of them on either side of me, then sighed. "Echo, go help Hunter with piloting the ship. Omega, I suggest you get some sleep. I will watch over Tech until we reach Ord Mantell...From there, I'm, sure we'll figure something out..." Though they weren't intentionally orders, my distressed tone convinced them otherwise and they walked away in opposite directions, leaving me alone with Tech. I gripped the moist rag Echo was using with my trembling fingers and dabbed at the unconscious clone's temples and forehead. My breathing stuttered as I exhaled through my mouth. What can I do? What can I do to make him more comfortable?