C H A P T E R F O R T Y-T W O

FERN'S POV

The last time I was on Coruscant, it was a mere few rotations before the war ended...I remembered I was requested from the Jedi Temple (I had just completed a reconnaissance mission on Felucia and reported to General Secura) to board a star destroyer, and then proceeded to be assigned under Cody's command to support General Kenobi on Utapau. Returning to the ecumenopolis planet gave me mixed feelings of nostalgia, paranoia, and anxiety. The latter skyrocketed when Tech piloted the Marauder through the upper and mid regions of extravagent skyscrapers gleaming in the blazing sun and descended into a vast portal where light diminished into nothing — one of thousands among the lower levels. We landed on a desolated platform.

As I slipped on my fitted bomber jacket with the sky-blue detail, I eyed Omega to my left. "Stay close, Half-Pint. This is one place we'll never be able to find you if we are separated."

"Got it." Omega nodded and straightened her leather headgear on her head.

After the boys finished gearing up, their helmets tucked under their arms, we exited down the ship ramp and were greeted by Rex and a familiar face I've not seen in a long time.

"Glad you could make it." The captain smiled.

"Senator Chuchi." I breathed, elation swelling in my chest, and I quickened my pace to meet her. The young Pantoran's golden eyes widened with the same reaction. "Fern? Ah, it is you!" She grasped both my hands and squeezed them. "It's been so long."

"Maker, you're all grown up." I said, admiring her glowing cerulean-blue skin with the yellow markings on her cheeks and her pastel-purple hair. She was dressed in fine, crimson-red and white, senatorial attire. Though she had grown taller since last I saw her, I still had about two inches on her. "It's so good to see you are well, Senator."

"I'm afraid I'm putting on a brave face for you then." Her pale lips wavered and her grip on my hands tightened. "I had no idea you were part of the squad Captain Rex had called for."

I scoffed lightly. "Yes, ever since the war ended I've been with them. You have nothing to worry about now, Riyo. We are at your service."

"I already feel better now that you are here, Fern." Riyo nodded. "I have no doubt you will be able to help me once again."

"Which brings us to why I called you." Rex stepped in. "Let's head inside. There's something I want you all to see." We headed inside what looked like a ship-repairment warehouse. It was dimly lit. We all gathered around a metal table that had a gravesled upon it. I pushed Omega aside on my left and glanced over to Echo on my right, who returned the gesture with his mouth forming a straight line. My stomach churned when Rex reached over revealed the body underneath through the squared viewing port.

It was a clone...

"He's an assassin," Rex explained. "and his identifying number's been wiped."

"I was not aware that was possible." Tech said grimly. My hand subconsciously brushed over my forearm, where such information could be retrieved with a simple scan.

"Who was his target?" Hunter inquired across from me.

"A clone contact of mine named Slip." Rex said. "He said he was in danger. I came to Coruscant to get him out, but the assassin got to him first. Nearly got the senator, too."

My heart sank for the young Pantoran woman, who stood at the head of the table.

"Why would a clone be targeting another clone or a senator?" Echo questioned.

"To silence us." Riyo spoke. "Admiral Rampart has the entire Senate believing Kamino was lost to a cataclysmic storm. Slip witnessed the truth." Her head lowered as she paused briefly, as if to have a moment of silence for the fallen clone. "I wanted him to testify to Rampart's crimes."