C H A P T E R S I X T Y-F I V E

THIRD PERSON POV

"Wired-Brain, are you cheating?" Fern gasped dramatically, fanning herself with her hand of cards. "And yet, you insisted to challenge me?"

"I did say I would play against myself, which would have been enough of a challenge." The intellectual clone raised a brow. "Extending the invitation was more of a courtesy. On that note, your accusation of my 'collusion' will require an evidential explanation."

Fern cordially obliged, poising herself as she cleared her throat. "And I appreciate you implying that my skill in this game that you have indulged...five rounds now, was a worthy adversary to your own." Fern laughed, then she displayed her cards across Gonky's flat top, who honked in protest of being used as a desktop. Her lips pursed. "However," She poked her finger on them. "for three of those rounds, I have unfortunately acquired a losing hand after winning the first two with mildly decent ones. Perhaps that made you nervous in losing our bet. You have insisted on shuffling before each round. It's suspicious."

"You are blaming me for your misfortunes that was merely caused by bad luck, Fern." Tech sighed, setting down his own cards. He chuckled as he adjusted his goggles. "Which seems to be on an amusing streak."

"Ugh!" Fern rolled her eyes. "Fine, I fold."

"And our deal?"

Fern averted her eyes with her mouth twisted to one side, grumbling, "You get to fly the ship for the next week."

"Tech, Fern," Hunter's voice called urgently from the comm channel. "We need a pickup!"

"Deal starts now, Tick!" Fern sprang from the crate she perched on. The spectacled clone followed her to the cockpit, then hopped in the pilot's seat. Leaving the cramped spaceport, the Marauder veered right and hovered over the neon-lit town. Tech managed to briefly land the ship directly in front of the chaos-ensued cantina. Fern lowered the ramp and informed the pilot once Hunter, Omega, Wrecker, and the recent addition to their crew, Phee Genoa, escaped their shootout and boarded.

Swoosh!

Tech did not waste time ascending the planet's atmosphere and zipping into hyperspace. Swerving her head around the co-pilot's seat, Fern raised a brow. "Please tell me you guys actually succeeded before getting chased out by blaster fire."

Phee fished out a jade-green, tree-shaped artifact from her knapsack and presented it in her hand with a cocky smile. "Mission accomplished."

"And we didn't have to pay a single credit for it." Omega beamed, holding up the case full of gold currency.

"Huh," Fern tilted her head, impressed. Her long, single braid cascaded over her shoulder. The relic did not look like much—it reminded her of a table center a wealthy household would display in their den for tea—but Fern had learned it was best not to question the 'Liberator of Ancient Wonders' if she wanted to avoid an elaborate retelling of another archaic legend. Her eyes then trailed over to the young girl, who was grinning up at Wrecker over their success on the heist. Hunter seated himself behind Tech and manned the sensors. Phee strolled over as she placed her prize in her bag. The gold ringlets in her thick, dark hair gleamed in the dim lighting of the cockpit.

"You know," the pirate noted. "Omega was pretty impressive back there."

"I had no doubt." Fern huffed with pride. "She's finally learned to follow instruction when given."

"Her training's paid off." Hunter agreed.

"Oh, I know she's got the whole 'soldier' thing down." Phee waved her hand before settling her weight into one hip. She tugged on the ends of her cream-colored top before knotting her arms over the pink-red embroidery stitched into the soft fabric. "But don't you think she should learn some other skills?