C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-S E V E N

THIRD PERSON POV

Athena and Crosshair, after hiking for what seemed like hours, had finally stumbled down into a ravine so vast, they could not spot the cross-section of the steep stone wall. They decided to follow along the natural bluff, trusting they'll eventually find a cave of some sort to get out of the rain. It was only high-afternoon and yet the ominous clouds cloaked the planet to imitate dusk. Neither complained aloud, but both clones were shivering violently from having been drenched since their journey began.

"There," The bounty hunter pointed at a narrow cavity in the wall. She bent over for a quick peek inside then smiled up at Crosshair with a nod. "After you."

It was a tight fit, but they managed to squeeze inside. The top of Crosshair's head, since he was much taller, just grazed the low ceiling. He set aside his pack in front of his feet and slumped his back against the jagged rock. Athena, after doing the same with her own bag, struggled to remove her soaked bomber jacket with the few inches of space separating them. Huffing with frustration, she extended her left arm in front of Crosshair's face. "Pull on that sleeve, will you?"

The elite clone sneered but complied, holding on the snatched hem while Athena twisted her back and shoulder to finally release her arm from the sleeve. She sighed loudly with relief as she slipped her right arm out with ease. "Much appreciated. Oh, jeez, well, this shirt is ruined." She patted the front of her once-cream-colored chemise with a frown. Crosshair glanced over and noticed her top was stained with grass markings and dirt. He rolled his eyes. "We're stranded on this planet, and you are worried about your clothes?"

Athena wrung out the water from the jacket sleeves first, then worked up in chunks on the torso portion. "What can I say? I've got priorities." She chuckled at her own sarcasm. However, her tone dropped as her irritation for the weather grew—her arms, which were dotted with tiny chill bumps, trembled every time a gust of wind intruded. "I do wish I'd worn my undershirt instead, though — it was thermally insulated. Lucky you to have yours and your armor." Once she finished squeezing out as much water as she could from the thick fabric, she flung the jacket around and covered her shoulders with it. Next, she twisted the ends of her dirty shirt, the trickling of water droplets splattering the rocky ground lightly echoed in the dense space. Thunder and lightning continued to encourage the heavy showers outside the cave.

"How did you know the storm would get worse?" Crosshair inquired.

"I don't need heightened senses like your old sergeant to read the weather." Athena scoffed.

"Don't bring him up." Crosshair growled.

Athena's hands stroked up her face and down her head, slicking back her dripping hair, before rolling her eyes with annoyance. "Oh, get over it, will you? You are the one who decided to leave them. I don't understand why you are still sulking over it like an abandoned child."

"Sulking?!"

"Yes, sulking." Athena stared into Crosshair's narrowed eyes. "Don't pretend like you don't enjoy working alongside other clones. I noticed the way you and Cody fought together on Desix. It's obvious you two collaborated in the past. And here, during this mission, you and I responded to each other's actions naturally. Like we've been on dozens of missions together. Admit it: you miss being part of a squad — your squad. It always shows when you carry out missions with other clones. You are terrible at hiding it, if that was what you were striving for."

"You don't know what you are talking about."

"I don't, huh?" Athena shuffled her body to face him and slapped her hands in her crossed legs with her lips tightened in a straight line and her brows raised. "Well, we are stuck here until the storm passes. Plenty of time for you to explain yourself."