C H A P T E R F O R T Y-F O U R

THIRD PERSON POV

Organa bowed to me with a kind smile. "I hope we meet each other again." Although he held himself up with a calm disposition, I knew he must be feeling a sense of failure after the Palpatine's calamitous declaration. The senator wasn't alone in that sense...

"Whenever you need me, Senator," I shook his firm hand. "I'm only a call away. Do not hesitate if you are ever in trouble."

"I will. Good luck."

Omega, Riyo, and I solumnly headed back to the warehouse where Rex, Hunter, and the others were waiting. I embraced the sergeant upon first arrival. "I'm sensing, based on your reaction, it did not go as planned." he sighed in my ear. I shook my head as I slipped out of his arms. Then, I faced everyone and relayed what had happened.

"Palpatine was one step ahead of us during the war," Rex said. "and he's still several steps ahead of us. We played right into his hands." He pounded his fist into his palm with frustration.

"I don't understand..." Omega sighed. "We did the right thing. We told the truth."

"And he twisted it to his advantage." Hunter gazed down on the young girl.

"It was as if Palpatine had known Chuchi would recruit us—or at least someone—find the necessary evidence, and expose Rampart for him." I huffed, crossing my arms tightly across my chest. "So then, he could convict Rampart and get what he was after all along. Even after the truth about Kamino is revealed, the Senate approved the Emperor's stormtrooper program. You all should have heard him..." I covered my mouth with my hand. "The way he spoke, was ingenious."

"And now the fate of all the clones is now sealed," Echo growled under his breath. "because of us." He turned to Rex. "What's going to happen to them?"

"I don't know." Riyo breathed, her head hung in disappointment. "But I will keep fighting for the clones. You all deserve the same rights as every citizen." She grasped my hand next to her and met my eyes, nodding with determination. "I won't give up." I smiled and squeezed her fingers.

"If you need anything, Rex, just say the word." Hunter said, then acknowledged Riyo with a small bow, indicating we were all heading out. However, I watched the sergeant turn to Echo, place a firm hand on the cyborg clone's shoulder, and say, "Wherever you end up, remember what I said."

I blinked as I dropped Riyo's hand. Wrecker playfully pushed on Echo's arm and chuckled, "Don't get into trouble without us."

"Without us?" Omega cocked her head to the side.

My lips parted in mild shock when I realized what was occuring...My fingers began wringling nervously against my stomach as my feet subconsciously stepped back, as if to create space between me and Omega. I knew this was going to deeply affect her...and I wasn't sure if I—

"Best of luck, Echo." Tech nodded, then he and the other two men headed to the ship.

"Luck with what?" The young girl questioned, her shoulders drooped.

"I'm going with Rex." Echo said. "The clones will need our help now more than ever. I can't turn my back on them."

"Y-you can't leave..." Omega stuttered, startled by the suddenness. "We're—We're a squad."

"Omega," Echo tried to console her. "this is something I have to do. I'm going where I'm needed."

"But," Omega shook her head. "we need you, too." Echo dropped down to one knee, placed his helmet on the ground, and grasped her shoulder. "It's not forever. I'll be back. Keep up with your training while I'm gone. Huh? Understood?" He gently emphasized the last command. In response, Omega jumped forward and wrapped her arms around his neck. At first, he is taken back, but then embraces the tearful child with his human arm. After one last squeeze with his hand on her back, he releases Omega, who wiped her eyes and whimpered softly, "Yes, sir."