The Werewolf in the Woods...22

Chapter 22

Third-Person POV

Amaris watched Aaron leave the house the next morning around 9AM. A bit early this time to "get some air", but he left nonetheless. Amaris looked over at Brad to see him watch Aaron leave. When Amaris knew for sure that Aaron was out of listening range, he leaned over to Brad. "Did you follow him yesterday?"

Brad nodded slowly. "I did."

Amaris raised an eyebrow. "And? What's he been doing?"

Brad just shook his head as he looked at Amaris. "Getting some air."

Amaris rolled his eyes. Right. Okay. That was so believable.

Brian enters the room dressed into a black t-shirt that was tucked into black cargo pants. Those pants were then tucked into black combat boots. Like he was going on a spy mission. "I'm going to do a recon of the area on my map. I'm getting closer to figuring out where their lair is."

Dominic walked up behind him in the exact same all-black outfit. "Yup. I'm going, too."

Loren poked his head into the living room as he gave the matching men a once over. "Nice. Real nice, you two."

A few hours later, Aaron came back through the door. Dominic and Brian had gone off hunting for their lair, and everyone else stayed near the house on the lookout. Things were getting tense, even more tense than usual. Everyone felt it, it's like they were getting closer and leading up to a big climax.

Everyone was itchy and couldn't sit still, and the look on Aaron's face didn't help. Brad was still a bit pissed at him, but he tilted his head in concern when he saw that look. Aaron walked past everyone and headed to the kitchen for a drink.

Amaris raised an eyebrow and looked over at Brad, but Brad shook his head to drop it.

Ady was the one to speak up, noticing the awkward and tense silence between everyone, "So what's the plan here? If and when we manage to find their lair, do we attack them? Do we draw them out and sneak in?"

Amaris shook his head. "We can't just attack them head on, they're too powerful. And if what Brian said about turned wolves being stronger is true, then we stand no chance."

"No chance at all?" Cqari furrowed her eyebrows.

"When I say we, you know I mean the men, right?" Amaris frowned. At that, he earned eyerolls from all of the women.

"Did you not learn anything from the past experiences we've all been through?" Mel mumbled. "We can help. We're strong too, you know."

Loren shook his head. "Be that as it may, this will be a dangerous situation. More dangerous than what any of us have been through. So no, we will not attack head on. We need a way in."

Brad couldn't help but glance at Aaron at that.

"If there's no way in, we'll have to draw them out. Maybe one by one and subdue them. Two of us can most likely take on one." Loren nodded. "So we do that and find our way inside to find Marissa."

"And then?" Kenny furrowed his eyebrows. "Say we find her and grab her, are we just going to let the others go? They can just keep kidnapping people and turning them and creating another army. Creating more people like Dom who hate wolves and seek to kill them. I mean, have we really not thought about this?"

"Oh, it's crossed my mind." Stepping through the door, Brian and Dom came in. Dom had a sour look on his face, which meant they had no luck finding the lair. "It's against our nature to kill anyone, but turned wolves can be controlled by their Alpha. If we find their Alpha, maybe we can persuade him into stopping their attacks."

Brad glanced over at Aaron again, not really liking how quiet he still was. As if Aaron felt eyes on him, he looked at Brad.

And Brad knew things were about to get ugly.

~~~

"Hey man, can we talk?" Aaron finally had the guts to approach Brad after an entire 2 weeks had passed after he found out about Aaron's mate being the enemy.

Brad scoffed a bit. In all that time that had passed, Aaron hadn't spoken to Brad about it. Maybe he was afraid what Brad would have said. Maybe he was just waiting for Brad to speak first.

"Brad, come on. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, okay? I was just afraid that you weren't going to accept her because she's an enemy."

Brad's eyebrows furrowed. "Aaron, if she's your mate, I'll accept her regardless." Feeling tension coming from Aaron, he put his hand on his shoulder. He was still his best friend. He was always going to forgive him.

"I'm really sorry. You're my brother, and I need you to help me. She hasn't come to our spot in about three weeks now, and I'm getting the feeling that her pack isn't letting her out. I need you, bro."

Brad frowned. Three weeks? Since Brad found out about her? When Aaron came in that one day with that look on his face, she must not have been there. He nodded in revelation. This was their way into the lair. "I got you, man. But you need to tell everyone else."