Chapter 16

I drove us to the Musomi African Market Place, where there just so happened to be a spoken word event going on

I drove us to the Musomi African Market Place, where there just so happened to be a spoken word event going on. The biggest perk to the event so far was that it would be held indoors, away from the cold air blowing through Musomi's streets. Poets and writers from far and near would soon grace the stage and as we waited for the doors to the theater to open, we joined other market attendees as they moved around happily between different stalls.

I followed Aisha into a haircare store that sold homemade natural hair products and watched contentedly as she got lost in there, her fingers eager to touch almost everything on the shelves. I'd seen her arsenal of hair products and was sure she didn't need anymore, but I still found myself offering to pay for a deep conditioning masque she'd picked  up and put down repeatedly, expressing that she was really interested in trying it out but knew it would be wasteful since she already had about three deep conditioners, two of which were still unopened.

"No, Chi. I can't allow you to do that, this isn't something I need." she said as she profusely tried not to accept.

"I know you don't need it. That's not the point. You want it, so I want to get it for you. Come on, stop making things hard."

"You're taking that you'll do anything for me thing a bit too far, Chi."

"No I'm not." I laughed. "I'm not jumping in front of a moving train. I'm offering to pay a hundred jiris for a product you'd really like to try out."

She tossed my words around in her mind for a few seconds before she nodded and accepted the notes I was holding out to her.

"Was that so hard, baby girl?" I chuckled as we walked to the checkout counter.

"It was, I'm sweating." she said dramatically and I laughed, throwing an arm over her shoulder as we walked out of the store.

"You can be really silly sometimes, Aisha, you know that?" I mumbled as we stepped into the queue to enter the theater.

"Sometimes?" she interjected with a raised eyebrow.

I laughed and caught the attention of a few people standing near us. I didn't get the chance to reply to the witty question because three excited girls were suddenly ambling to us at what seemed to be lightning speed, the shrill pitches of their squealing voices giving me an instant headache.

"Oh my word, you're Chimwemwe Banda! Kitalo Blazers' number thirteen!!!" the more outspoken of the three said and I scrunched my eyebrows at her telling me who I was like I didn't know myself.

"He is!" a completely different person shrieked from a couple of paces away from us.

I opened my mouth to say something when one of the three girls suddenly squeezed into the queue to give me a side hug and stretch her hand out for a selfie. I felt, rather than saw, Aisha awkwadly create distance between us as she moved my arm off her shoulder and step away from me.