Chapter 6

"Eyy, here comes this boy! Where have you been all night, Chimwemwe? I was in here bored out of my mind

"Eyy, here comes this boy! Where have you been all night, Chimwemwe? I was in here bored out of my mind. Sitting here drunk and alone." Koffi whined as soon as I got through the door.

"Why would you be drunk and alone, you big baby?" I asked, talking to him the way he usually talks to us. That made him deepen his frown and take another swig of champagne straight out of the bottle. He didn't say anything, but the daggers he shot into me with his eyes spoke volumes.

"Seriously, Koffi?" I sighed at the dramatics. "Weren't you with Akim?"

"Akim just got in a few minutes before you did. He was with Namiko, obviously. His disappearance made perfect sense. But yours?! Ultimate betrayal, Chi." Drunk Koffi was a very dramatic guy, shaking his head with an emotional look on his face.

"Hey, Chi. Is Koffi still in here crying about being left alone for the night?" Akim said, appearing from his bedroom.

"He is." The two of us laughed and I took a seat on the couch, next to Koffi. "Which I'm really surprised about. We're in Musomi, Koffi. You've got a variety of girls to explore here. I heard they're different from the city girls we're used to."

"Yeah, man. How come you didn't hit the club with Hasani's cousins? They're around the same age as you." Akim asked.

"You guys and trying to push this girls agenda on me." Koffi said, looking really annoyed. Something about his facial expression told me this would be one of those rare occasions where he was actually serious.

"How many times do I have to say I'm not interested in that player lifestyle anymore? In how many different languages? I can already speak four, so I got y'all."

"Hey, man. Relax." Akim said. "We just weren't sure we could take you seriously, dude. I mean, I've known you the longest out of all of us, Koffi. You know you have a reputation."

"I know that." Koffi said dismissively. "But you've also known me long enough to know that I don't tell unnecessary lies, Akim. I'm twenty-five, guys. I'm not a thirsty little kid anymore. I'm not interested in all the risky stuff I used to get up to back in my uni days. I've got bigger fish to fry."

Akim was in visible disbelief. "But, Koffi. You love the girls and the girls love you."

Koffi sucked his teeth next to me. He put the bottle down and gave Akim a death stare. "So I can't change? Back when we all became friends, Chi would get white girl wasted whenever he got the chance and none of us found it hard to believe when he changed and started consuming alcohol like a sensible human being. No one said 'but Chi, you love alcohol and alcohol loves you'. But when it's me we must all be shocked. You guys are boring me, seriously."

"Okay, dude." I spoke up. "We're sorry. We'll keep this change in mind moving forward."

"Whatever, man." Koffi said, shaking his head again. "Where were you all night, anyway?"