Chapter 2

Aisha descended the stairs in a casual all black outfit that made her bright red hair pop

Aisha descended the stairs in a casual all black outfit that made her bright red hair pop. The jeans she'd just put on hugged her curves more snuggly than the beautiful dress she'd had on all morning and I internally rolled my eyes at her delusional ex boyfriend. How could he not see all the beauty and sex appeal that just oozed off of her?

To stop myself from staring, I played around with a coaster on the countertop I was sitting by. My thoughts about Aisha were a new development and they kept catching me by surprise whenever we were in each others' vicinity. We'd hung out together with our friends a few times since she'd returned from Canada, and even more after Hasani and Nella got engaged about two months ago. When she was close by, she took up all my attention.

When we met about two years ago, all I'd perceived her as was the artistic sister. She had purple hair that day, with a matching purple dress that would have been absolutely sinful if she'd worn it now that she'd filled out a bit. Back then, at twenty-one, she had a youthful naivety about her that wasn't really what I went for, but now, she'd come back behaving and talking like a full-grown woman, and something about it had me thinking all kinds of thoughts.

Her appearance wasn't helping my case either. She was a looker from head to toe and my eyes just never seemed to get enough. Her ex wasn't wrong about her weight gain, anyone could see that she wasn't the same size she was back then. What I didn't understand was why he was so appalled by it. Aisha's extra weight had gone to all the right places, her wider hips and thicker thighs forming an hourglass figure I could see myself getting lost in.

But this is your friend you're talking about.

That thought made me snap out of it. I cleared my throat as Aisha made it to where I was sitting. "You ready?"

"Yeah. Where are we going?"

"Kitalo City. You said you're hungry, right?"

Aisha gave me the slightest smile. "Let's go."

***

It was very obvious that Aisha was struggling to take her mind off that Mani guy as I drove away from Kisho Valley into Kitalo City. Her whole body was rigid in the seat next to me, her hands clasped tightly on her lap.

"Do you want to talk about it?"  I asked, thinking maybe getting whatever thoughts were troubling her out into the open would help.

She scoffed. "You sure you want to hear it?"

"Yeah. I mean, if I wasn't a famous basketball player, I'd be a therapist right now."

Aisha gasped dramatically. "You're a famous basketball player?!"

"Seriously, Aisha?" I glared at her for a second.

She laughed, her voice going up many octaves as the corners of her eyes crinkled up. She was going through a lot, but still found it in her to crack jokes.