Chapter 13

I sat on the couch in my living room, impatiently waiting to hear the knock on my door that would let me know Aisha had arrived

I sat on the couch in my living room, impatiently waiting to hear the knock on my door that would let me know Aisha had arrived. She was driving from Kisho Valley and though it was only a twenty minute drive from her mother's place to mine, anything could happen in that time. Especially at night. 

I'd just started to dial her number when she finally knocked. I was at the door in a heartbeat, unlocking it to see her dressed in all black with teary eyes. My heart clenched violently at the sight. I absolutely hated seeing Aisha cry. 

"Hey," she sniffed. "Sorry to barge in on you so late."

"Hey. Come in." I moved out of the way to let her in. "And don't apologise for the timing. It's not even 10 p.m. yet."

After I'd locked the door, I turned to find Aisha taking in my double story townhouse, which wasn't really much to see. It was a masculine space with a few pieces of African art on the red brick walls, black leather couches, a black wooden coffee table and a matching black TV stand. The kitchen which was right by the door was just as basically designed. 

"Wow." Aisha marveled at an abstract picture on the wall. "I never would've thought your place would be so minimal." 

I walked over to stand next to her. "I don't like clutter."

"So my place must drive you crazy." she said with an awkward smile on her face.

I smiled and chuckled, saying, "Your place is a perfect representation of you. I actually love it there."

Aisha turned to face me, her eyes still damp. She looked like she was battling a lot of things internally and an uneasy feeling settled over me. I wished I'd been with her to know exactly what she was going through, maybe then I'd know exactly how to help her through it.

"Baby girl..." I urged through a whisper as I took a step closer to her. "What do you need?"

"I need the people in my life to stop keeping things from me. I need people to stop making decisions that they think are best for me without talking to me about them first." she said, the tears in her eyes breaking free. "But that's not something you can give me, is it?"

"Unfortunately not." I said, swallowing. Aisha hadn't told me anything about what happened at the important family meeting her mom had invited her to, but it was obvious by her reaction that it hadn't gone so well. The raw emotion on her face was enticing a deep ache in my chest, stress blooming on my forehead. 

"How about a hug, then?" Aisha said with a smile. I walked to her quickly, pulling her as close to me as humanly possible. 

"Mmm..." she moaned into my chest. "Instant relief."

"Yeah?" I chuckled, pulling her even closer. "I could throw in a kiss if you like."

"No thanks, Chi." she laughed and lightly slapped my chest. "Apparently that's not a good idea."