Chapter 11

Aisha's hands suddenly stopped moving and she froze in my arms, her lips no longer moving against mine

Aisha's hands suddenly stopped moving and she froze in my arms, her lips no longer moving against mine. I tensed up and pulled away, my eyes searching hers as I tried to understand what had changed for her to suddenly become so rigid and weird.

"Aisha, what's going on?" I asked, my chest heaving from the adrenalin that pumped through me a few seconds ago.

Aisha closed her eyes and shook her head, her hands balling into fists at her side. "What are we doing, Chi? We agreed we wouldn't do this again. Plus, you're interested in someone and—"

"I'm not." I said quickly, trying not to get frustrated by her complete inability to see what I felt for her.

"What do you mean? You literally just told me a few days ago that you're falling for someone."

"You, Aisha. I was talking about you." I said and watched as understanding and trepidation settled onto her face. "Seriously, how can you not see and feel it?"

I'd been avoiding being this direct with her about my feelings, especially since she insisted we needed to remain friends. I'd tried to respect that wish by remaining quiet about who I had feelings for, but it only seemed to be biting me in the butt.

"Me?" she was completely dumbfounded. "Why me?"

"Why not you?" I shrugged, looking into her stressed out eyes, wondering exactly what I'd have to do to smooth everything over.

"Chimwemwe," she said my name matter-of-factly. "I don't believe the same things as you romantically. I'm not looking for a relationship and you are. How did you pick your feelings for me over the unmistakable connection you have with your ex?"

She's not you.

The words were on the tip of my tongue, but I had no idea how to let them out. How does one explain falling as deeply and as quickly as I had for Aisha without sounding insane? How could I properly explain to her that she'd become such a big part of my life, I thought  about her constantly, saw her in my dreams, physically ached when I saw her hurting. It had only been a few months of the friendship between us and I already knew I'd do pretty much anything for Aisha, fight anyone, go anywhere.

I shrugged and put it into a few words that were less difficult to stomach. "I don't  know, Aisha. I just have a feeling about us that I can't shake."

Aisha shook her head and walked back to the couch, plopping onto it looking exhausted.

"Chi..." she groaned, the sexy sound taking my mind back to minutes earlier when I was so wrapped up in Aisha I nearly forgot my own name.

"What's up, baby girl?" I asked, sitting down next to her, being mindful to leave enough room between us so she didn't feel uncomfortable.

"What's this feeling you keep talking about?" she asked. "You'd better not call me your soulmate, Chi."

"Okay, I won't." I laughed. "I don't know how to explain it, though. The connection we have, the bond we've built over this relatively short amount of time we've spent in each others' presence. It just... it feels like a preview. It feels like we're being given a sneak peek into something bigger than a simple friendship."