Reason Seven

HIS EYES WERE STUNNED, paralysed with a shocked emotion as he stepped back from you. You felt a strike of heart break as he lightly pushed you away, removing your hands from his jaw.

"Everything, L/N.." Levi's voice harshened as he scrunched his face, shaking his head, "Everything is keeping us apart." Levi hesitated, unable to look you in the eye as he placed his index finger against his lips, tracing over where you had kissed him, "You broke my heart."

You hesitated, stepping closer: only to watch him step back, "You broke my heart, too."

Levi sighed, pinching his fingertips against the bridge of his nose; "Don't you see? That's the point, Y/N.." His pearly teeth gritted, his jaw clamping shut, "We're not right for each other.." He bit down onto his bottom lip as his eyes refused to meet yours, "We'll both end up getting hurt if we keep doing this.. it's not fair-.. I-.." He turned his shoulder, loosening the apron from him and placing it on the cabinet , "Goodnight, Y/N."

"Levi-!"

"Good night." He repeated, clasping his fingers around the door handle to let himself out.

You touched your lips with your fingers, able to taste him on your tongue still. A small gasp escaped your lips as you struggled to comprehend what had just happened. You wondered what the kiss meant: how it would change things..

With Levi; with Hange; with your job..

You slapped your hand against your forehead, confusion taking over you as you struggled to figure out what you wanted. You couldn't figure out your emotions..

Did you want him?

Maybe.

But had you completely forgiven him for the letter he wrote you?

You decided to sleep on it, hesitantly leaving the kitchen to get to your bedroom. You tiredly rubbed the sore spot at the back of your neck with a defeated sigh.

Even if you did forgive him, Levi seemed angry with you: even if you weren't exactly sure what you had done wrong. Who was to say he would forgive you?

You reread the letter he had sent you in your mind, each word engrained in your brain as the recollection tortured you.

"Hey, Y/N?" A soft voice called out from behind as you snapped out of your train of thought, "What are you doing awake?"

You flinched, instantly twisting your neck around to be met with a silhouette stood in the dark shadows ten meters away.
"Hange?" You whispered tiredly, your eyes meeting with theirs as you stepped closer, watching them come into focus: "I could ask the same to you."

"I-.." Hange's guilty eyes looked to the ground with a worried look, "I was looking for you actually."

Your intrigue increased, "Oh- What's up?"

"There's something I need to tell you, actually."

You walked over to your oldest friend with a raised brow, curious on what they wanted to tell you: especially whilst looking so worried.

"I-.." They hesitated, unable to look you in the eye, "I need to confess something to you.. something that's been eating me alive since you got here."