Reason three ; III

HANGE'S EYES BECAME DULL, glancing over their shoulder to see who you were staring at.

Hange's expression instantly sank, their pupils immediately locking onto the ebony-haired Captain before their head swished back towards you.

They cocked their brow, tilting their head to the side with a subtle frown perched on their soft lips: "Levi?" They muttered lightly, "You're.. staring."

"I'm not."

"Yes.. you are. It's okay - there's no point in denying it, right?" Hange reassured you, despite their face telling you another story, "What are you thinking?"

You lowered your head as your pride left your body.

You watched Levi stand from his chair, immediately burying his hands into his pockets as he left the ballroom. He practically raced to the balcony, the doors closing tightly behind him.

Now no longer feeling the want to dance, you placed your hand on top of Hange's. Their fingers instinctively entwined with yours as you pulled them off of the ballroom-floor, leading them towards a small table with white trim and two seats in the seating area of the ballroom.

You sighed, admittedly disappointed: "I didn't know that he was going to be here tonight, Hange."

"I.. was worried you wouldn't come if I told you."

"Right." You sharply replied, "I.. didn't tell you this. But.. I spoke to him a few weeks ago."

Hange tightened their fingers around yours protectively to comfort you, their thumb drawing patterns on your skin. They didn't reply, just awaited for you to carry on.

"Hange.." Your voice whimpered with fragility, "I couldn't recognise him."

Their eyes widened.

"The way he looked at me.. Hange; the way his eyes glared daggers into mine.." Your lips cracked into a frown as you rested your face on your jaw, "He's changed. So much. The last time I saw him was when he kissed me goodbye, and now all his lips do is scowl at me."

Hange placed their hand on top of your knee, the other tightening around your fingers.

They curled their teeth not a gentle giggle, "Come on.."

"Where are we going?"

"To drink!" The Commander whined as you laughed, "You need a shot.. and so do I, to be honest."

They pulled your body up from the comfort of your chair with ease, clasping their hands with yours.
Although, instantly, you felt your feet lose balance as you stumbled over your heels: they caught on the fabric of your crimson dress.

You gasped.

Your hands instinctively gripped onto their arms to keep yourself from falling, feeling their hands wrap around your waist. You swallowed, sharply inhaling as the scent from their suit filled your nose: the aroma of rich pine embedded in your senses - followed by a faint, floral smell of gentle, lavish lavender.

Hange pressed their index finger beneath your chin, "Easy, girl." Hange teased.

"Thank-you."

"You're so clumsy."

"I-.." Your lips forgot how to form words as your eyes stared up at them, feeling your face begin to pick up heat. Your mind became hyper focused on where Hange's skin touched yours, and became obsessed with the warmth of their grasp.

'Why do I feel so.. strange right now?'

A distant voice began to call Hange's name as they immediately turned around to see who it was: they raised their thin eyebrow whilst cocking their head innocently.
"Hm?"