Reason three ; IV

HE DIDN'T RESPOND. You felt a genuine twist of pure-envy conjure in your stomach as his lack of words sunk into your mind. Despite you only asking him to reflect his own question, his lack of response made you feel ill.

The thought of there being another woman made you feel ill.

You twitched your brows down as you turned your shoulder with frustration, Levi doing the same.

Levi's grey eyes immediately attached onto yours as you felt your heart skip a beat.

His jaw clenched at the sight of you, his eyes focused on yours.

Levi wore a fitted, ebony suit that perfectly matched his pitch-black hair. The jacket was stainless, which was unsurprising for the Captain Levi; his white cravat was embedded in the colour of his shirt. You could see the outline of his muscles, even through his suit jacket; his creasless shirt was tight over his chest.

His hair was carelessly styled; the majority was loosely slicked back with a couple strands falling down his forehead.

His eyes dropped onto your heels. Levi's pupils slowly ran up each centimetre of your dress, focusing on the way it outlined your figure. He swallowed, his eyes darting away as his you watched his cheeks begin to change colour; although struggling to see in the dark lighting, you could just about make it the light-pink on his face.

"Y/-..N." He murmured.

You sighed his name in response, "Levi.."

"What are you doing out here on your own, Y/N?"

"I could ask the same to you," You answered, "I needed fresh air."

"Same here.."

"Right."

A few moments of awkward silence filled the air, consuming your body.

Levi arched his neck back, letting out a low sigh: "I hate this." He muttered broodingly, "I hate that you're here again; and I hate that.. I don't hate you, too."

"You.. don't?"

"How could I?" His eyebrow raised, a genuinely pained look in his eyes as he spoke, "I could never hate you, Y/N."

Your eyes fluttered shut, unsure on how to respond to that. A sigh left your lips as Levi stepped closer, overthinking in his head what he was about to say. His face held a puzzled expression.

"Y/-.." He couldn't even finish saying your name as he clamped his jaw shut.

"What?"

Levi sighed through his nose, "Dance with me." His arm began to extend towards you, his fingertips open to hold onto, "Please. Just this once."

Too nervous to ask why or hesitate, you laced your fingers in between his, feeling Levi sharply exhale with relief before beginning to walk back inside of the ballroom.

Levi's touch was warm.

Warmer than you remembered.

The bronze lights gleamed down onto you both as Levi led you to the centre of the ballroom; surrounded by couples slow-dancing to the soft music of the orchestra.

Levi placed your hand against his firm, broad shoulder. His other hand trickled along the skin of your arm, lacing around your finger tips. One of his hands was still entwined with yours whilst the other slowly trickled around your waist, pulling your chest against his.

He straightened his posture. Levi lead, swaying your body from side to side.

You felt unsure on which emotion was stronger: pure, heart-aching sadness at the memories you once shared; frustration at what conspired between you both; or anger at what you could've had together, but the universe held back.