Chapter 15

For the next few months, Aunt Izzy's words were sometimes the only thing that got me through the day. Unbeknownst to me, Mom had reached out to Calder and Leith, explaining the reason for my absence—while still omitting any particulars about what had happened with Zander and the fight between me and Waverly. Nor did she give any reason for them being one waitress down for the foreseeable future. Leith was heartbroken to hear about what I'd been through; Calder, in his gruff manner, expressed his condolences to me through Mom.

When I finally returned to work, it was sensory overload as I swam inside the restaurant. It felt like a lifetime had passed since I'd last been here. For a moment, I froze, taking in the various sights, smells, and sounds as if for the first time.

The clink and clatter of plates and cups being picked up and set down, the sound of the cooks and servers murmuring in low voices, the scent of fresh shrimp and bubble tea—it was almost overwhelming. Never mind being so close to Calder and Leith. I was on the verge of a panic attack as I ducked back outside, my heart racing and breathing shaking. I tried to take a deep breath, but it was as if an anchor was sitting on my chest.

All I could see was Zander and the sensual look in his eyes; I shuddered as I recalled the feeling of his hand on my face. Before I realized it, tears were welling in my eyes, spilling down my cheeks and splashing onto my dress. I cursed myself, hating that he still had a grip on me. Everything I'd been trying so hard to suppress—those feelings I'd shoved in the back of my heart when we'd heard the news about Raina—came back with a vengeance.

Anger, sadness, grief, rage, regret—they all slammed into me with the force of an anchor. When I heard the sound of low voices approaching, getting louder with every passing second, I froze again. I instinctively jerked away as Leith appeared, face lined with worry. I was gasping for breath as tears streamed down my face. Whatever Leith saw in my eyes, my panicked expression convinced him not to come any closer. He nodded, putting his hands out in front of him.

I wrapped my arms around myself, nails digging into my flesh. It had taken weeks for me even to feel comfortable being touched by Jonah—never mind another merman. Even Dad and Drew had kept their distance, silent understanding flashing in their eyes whenever they saw me. I closed my eyes and tried to steady my breathing, to remind myself that Leith was not Zander—that he would never even think of harming me.

When Leith spoke, his voice was soft and gentle. "I don't know what you went through, nor can I even begin to imagine the pain you must be feeling. But know if and when you're ready to talk about it, I'm here. I'm so sorry, Faye."

Before his words had even finished echoing, Calder appeared, his gruff expression softening ever-so-slightly. "I take the well-being of this restaurant and my employees very seriously. As Leith said, I know nothing of what you went through, nor the pain you must be feeling, but my door is always open, Faye. We take care of each other here."

Taken aback, I didn't respond right away. I didn't think I'd ever heard Calder speak with such gentleness. I sniffled, hurriedly wiping my eyes. "I-I'm sorry." They both nodded and as they turned to go back into the restaurant, I spoke again. "Wait."

As one, they turned and met my eyes. My hands clenched into fists as I squeezed my eyes shut, taking several deep breaths and blowing them out. Over and over until I felt I could talk about it without breaking down.

"As you may or may not know, Waverly and I are descendants of Sirens—an ancient group of mermaids blessed with the power of song. Our voices are haunting and mesmerizing; one can decide whether to use them for evil or good. Many other mermaids have been lured into this group as well, fracturing relationships as well as forging them. Waverly had a sister—" My voice broke as emotion choked me. It was the first time since her death that I'd spoken about Kailani.